What Did You Do In Your Garden Today?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, whatcha gonna do with that pine stump? I have seen tall stumps like that covered with decorative bird houses. My mom tacked chicken wire to one and planted morning glories. I bet other readers have some good ideas.....

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well Lucky, I had planned to hang a bunch of finch feeders on it. Last year, I hung 4 of the sock feeders up. The next day, the bottom of 2 of them had been ripped off and the other 2 were missing. So I got a couple of the plastic tubes - and found them in shreads on the driveway the next morning. So I got a wooden suet feeder and nailed it to the tree... and haven't seen it since...
:rolleyes:
If I could figure out how to hollow out a big hole in the top of the stump, I'd love to plant something that would trail down it..

So if anyone has any ideas - that won't cause trouble in the bed below - let me know. It's 5'tall.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane could paint it to look like a rocket!

Wellp, my Beans did their first night in the ground last night. I want to go look see how they did. Temperature is 41.9, sun is pertnear up.

Just checked on them. They're fine, not hunkered down, not wilted at all. I'll give them a quarter dose of Fish Emulsion today. Want them to do some relatively rapid early season growth. These are the very late maturing Beans. Starting them early like this I'm hoping to get a full crop from them this year.

Unless there is more work to do on the docks today, I may put down a strip of plastic and plant some Bush Beans today. Maybe I should start some Nova Star Pole Beans inside in a flat now that there is nothing on the heat pad.

May drive to my mailbox and check to see if I have Bean seeds in the mail! :)
My mail only comes 3 days a week up here.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
canesisters said:
Well Lucky, I had planned to hang a bunch of finch feeders on it. Last year, I hung 4 of the sock feeders up. The next day, the bottom of 2 of them had been ripped off and the other 2 were missing. So I got a couple of the plastic tubes - and found them in shreads on the driveway the next morning. So I got a wooden suet feeder and nailed it to the tree... and haven't seen it since...
:rolleyes:
If I could figure out how to hollow out a big hole in the top of the stump, I'd love to plant something that would trail down it..

So if anyone has any ideas - that won't cause trouble in the bed below - let me know. It's 5'tall.
What you need on that stump is a clematis Cane!

7504_august_garden041.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's a plethora of varieties out there. The one in the pic is a shorty that only gets about 6 feet tall and I can't remember what it's name is. But there are clems for full sun, some for part sun and some that bloom in the shade. There are clems that reach 20 feet, and some that are barely 6 footers. I think you need a short, full sun one. They don't seem picky about soil, but humousy is probably best.

Some people claim that their roots need shading but I don't do anything particular with any of mine. You can put a stone over the base if you like, but remember that they grow in black nursery pots in the sun at nurseries and bloom happily, so to me it's not a critical point.

You can even plant a couple in the same hole, so you get an extended bloom time. The one thing that they don't like is having their roots disturbed, so don't untangle them when transplanting.

And plant them a bit deeper than they were in the nursery pot, 3 or 4 inches is good.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm going to have to try clematis again. I had such poor luck with it in California.I had one that was gorgeous, grew over my pergola and it was amazing when it bloomed, but my ex chopped it and it didn't make it back. Everything I tried to replace it with did poorly as well. The stems are just so delicate and we have such heavy winds. But there IS one on the N side of one of the ranch houses here, that is very beautiful. One like that would do me fine. :rolleyes:

Today I just wrapped my hands up, put on over sized gloves, pulled a few feet of nasty old grass that was trying to horn in on my shallots and watered everything. I think I lost my penstemons. They were my favorite too...along with purple coneflowers...and daisies. Oh, and trumpet vine, can't forget those.

The cattle panel arch that I planted with the silver lace vine last year is going to be awesome. It's already leafing out and I think it is going to be very full and pretty. I just wish the trumpet vines would get serious about doing something on THEIR arch. Seems all my favorite plants from my old house refuse to thrive here. Seems like mostly, what I still have is weeds and dirt....lots of dirt. Not nice dirt, just dirt.

This is what my arch at my place in Calif looked like.

from the back-side

and my hiding spot. It was a happy garden!

Anyway, the birdbrains (surviving turkeys) and I walked around and watered my dirt. They seem to appreciate my company. It's going to be very hard to put them on the table next fall. Dang.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh! So beautiful Petey! That trumpet vine is really muscular isn't it? Maybe a Jackmanii clematis in a somewhat protected area would be a good choice for you. They are the industry standard for a reason. Pretty much unstoppable.

I tried silverlace twice and it wouldn't survive. I think part of the problem may be that the trellis is on the south side of the house and warms and cools too much in the winter.

Your gardens at the ranch just need a little more maturity, I'm sure they will be as gorgeous as your old ones in time.
But I've seen your pictures and I think they're no slouch now!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Petey, keep working on turning that dirt into nice soil and you'll get it like the old house, along with keeping in mind what grows best where you are now.

Think compost. Tons and tons of compost. Make it so that dirt is a percentage of your composty soil, the compost the main part of it.

StonyGarden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am hurting today. Sunburn is not my friend. My in-laws and I put up some chicken wire around the garden yesterday. We re-purposed some old metal frames that used to be dog kennels for the posts. Planting will start today inbetween rain showers. Here's a couple of pictures of the garden.

Latest posts