What Did You Do In Your Garden Today?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got 3 berries planted today, and spread a lot of bone meal on the beds.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today was finally one of those spring days you dream about; :coolsun 70 degrees, light wind, sunny. I got the cabbage, broccoli and spinach plants put in the garden today, and, since it is forecasted to be windy and sunny tomorrow, I rounded up enough water jugs to cover the plants. A gallon plastic jug works great with the bottom 2" cut off. Leaves a ventilation hole on top. I put them firmly on/in the ground, then hoe up dirt around them to secure them over the plant. Then I spend quite a bit of time cutting grass starts out of the garden. I have a big serrated edge knife that is a great garden tool. It's what I use to cut roots that invade the garden, too, unless they are really big.

I am scheduled to work tomorrow, so I needed to get the garden ready to be neglected for a whole day! (Did I tell you about my "job"? The farm store where I get my raw milk; the owner asked me to mind the store while she was out of town for a funeral, a while back, then she has asked me to fill in for her several times since. We sell the milk, organic eggs, organic veggies, a few things like soaps and local honey. I just take my pay out in trade; works for both of us since I don't work very often.)

Anyway, I was so happy to get the cabbage out, I feel like doing the happy dance! :ya I'm sure I will be sore tomorrow, as I am still in the "getting in shape" phase of gardening this spring. :rolleyes:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, today I put seeds into 2 of the 5 cells that did not sprout of the 50.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
The spinach that I started a little while back did zip-zilch-nada. Sprouted but quit. So I filled a couple of 'cookie boxes' with (damp) potting soil, sprinkled with seeds and set outside. I thought that since I was focused on peppers, corn and tomatoes that maybe it was simply too warm for the green goodies. Maybe the cool outside will agree with them more. ?

Anyway, I came home to find that one of the dogs had knocked one of them off of the rail and chewed around the edges. As far as I can tell, all the dirt is still in there... but the seeds are now all mixed in - instead of just under the surface. I just shook it back level and patted it down. Should I re-seed? Or should I let it be and see if anything sprouts???

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a good question Cane!. I kinda think so. They'll be a random depths now.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey! I can finally post something here! The weather is turning more seasonal and I was finally able to work in the gardens. I put 8 pounds of lime in the small garden and 75 pounds in the big garden. I even got to fire up the tiller and turn both gardens. Then I reworked the compost pile. It's getting bigger with all the chicken bedding and waste. Once grass season starts, it should start cooking real good. I was hoping to get the fence up and maybe even plant some peas, but the weather is turning south again, with rain coming soon. So, DW and I are taking the afternoon off and watching the race.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm doing final soil preparations on the east bed, made a small trench in the west side of the south bed that'll be filled with fresh compost and raised further.

If I still have energy I'll begin raising the level of the north, berry, bed by adding several inches of compost worked in. That bed settled quite a bit since last year. The berries will root in the top additional compost over the course of time.

Right now I'm on a lunch break from it all.

Latest posts