What Did You Do In Your Garden Today?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
let's see finished the greenhouse, mowed and weedeated the dogs yard, weedeated around the asparagus bed,and blackberries, as well feed them both.
and ran the tiller up and the garden.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Totally mowed here too! Hubby is just finishing up with the weed eater and we had a rather productive day. I pulled a few weeds and then looked over what spring was hiding from me. So many little sprouts popping up I couldn't be happier!

I saw the ranunculus coming up, as well as freesia. There are flower heads on my tulips, and buds on the columbine! Lots of raspberry sprouts and buds on the apples already!

I could not stop smiling all day out in the yard. Finishing up dinner now, so we can all eat on the deck.... then bring the tomatoes and sweet potato vine trays back inside I had out hardening off. :D

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Since we are supposed to get 1"-12" of snow Monday/Tuesday I put down some pre-emergent and planted a flat of tomatoes. Always feel like I'm behind schedule this time of year when deep down I know I'm not. It's still early.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet you aren't late either, RidgebackRanch.

I got 136 Early Girls . . . & 2 Cold Sets out of their community containers and into 4-packs. These tomatoes are for neighbors. Hopefully (please), the weather will be nice enuf I won't have to up-pot them to 4" pots!

I want the plants nice and they've always said they were but I'm hoping for no 8 weeks in those little containers. I may have enuf protective growing space this year I can pull them apart if necessary and put them 6, 4-packs to a flat instead of 12 . . .

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did get into doing part of that north bed today. Some few raindrops are now starting to fall.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
go Southern!!!

NO planting here yet.... its too early. Not too early for NC in general, just too early with how this spring has been. But they are expecting 80's the next couple of days, so who knows. Just throwing my hands up in confusion. :barnie

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Woke up to dark yet, and high winds, 41.6 degrees.

I'm going to try to finishing the berry bed compost raising and filling. About a yard will do it. Also get one of the middle beds raised more with compost if I can. Have a sore toenail. :p Had a podiatrist reduce one last year. They can do that! Minor surgery to kill a corner of it to keep it from growing. Might have to get another one done like that in a few months. It'll be ok with some trimming for now. I can think of some improvements for the human body! One would be a third set of teeth to come in around age 50! Nice small super bright teeth heavy on the enamel. Another would be toenails to become neater and smaller around age 50.

Ohhh I digress... Looks like a blue sky developing from the dark of night. Gonna be a pretty day at the lake!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Snuck out this morning and planted my peas. Now it is officially spring! Nothing but rain predicted for the rest of the week- April showers and all that...

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I set out the rest of the tomatoes. The last one was slated for installation at one end of a raised bed, which has lately been a huge fire ant community. That was a bit of a trick...

I tossed the whole pile, to rile everyone up and start the planting hole... and maybe encourage them to move on. Usually I only have to destroy the nest 2 or 3 times, and they get the hint.
About half an hour later, when they got busy rebuilding, I made a bit more of a hole. I poured some TomatoTone in the hole at arm's length, and dropped the plant into the hole. After a few minutes, I started pushing soil back into the hole, little bits at a time, from the end of a long-handled shovel.

Repeat that with a 4" potted parsley.

Then I flooded the little jerks out. That was satisfying.

I heard a very interesting method of ant control after all this, from my Ozark hillbilly witch friend. It involves two separate ant colonies, and a big shovel. If you "infect" each colony with ants from the other colony, they'll all kill each other off. He said it only took a spoonful of each, but I'm imagining a big ol' shovelfull (or two) would be better. I don't know if this is any less humane than boiling water or chemicals.

Latest posts