What Did You Do In Your Garden Today?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
2 wheelbarrows of weeds sounds like a lot Cane!

Hope the wind treats you better tomorrow Digit. Find a way for some kind of ventilation.

Got me curious what variety of Marigolds VFEM.

=====

Today I finished putting the last bed together and pretty much finished planting the Beans, but I know me, I'll find places to tuck a few more in.

Also working on the last and most difficult camp to clean before May 1st. It'll be done before lunch tomorrow...I convince myself...

2 of the Nova Star Beans are sprouting so far. The Tepary Beans are sprouting in earnest now. 8 of the 10 Red Seeded Borlotti Podded Bush Beans are showing slowly. Peas are growing well.

Only 2 of the Chardonnay grafts took, but those 2 are growing real nicely. Looks like 3 of the grafted rootstocks died completely, and 6 of them are still growing as rootstock. Those still as rootstock may get another try. Meantime, I planted my pot of 12 rootstocks that were last year's cuttings into the bed between 2 of the dead ones. Some of these new rootstocks I am training to have 2 or 3 leaders for multi grafting on them in a few years. Thinking of removing the single leader rootstocks.

The Black Satin Blackberry will be the first with sample berries this year.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
took ava for her morning walk, picked asparagus and it has been raining on and off all night and more to come today,really not interested to tromp in the mud. figure today would be good time to straighten up the barn.
looks like a twister hit it......yes been procrastinating have no excuses today so after a little breakfast off to the barn..

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The MAN burned my big pile of tumbleweeds and other garden refuse at last! Most vines are getting some green, or at least buds swelling...roses are swelling up. Broccoli is in as well as cauliflower and a few head lettuce. Putting tomatoes in 1 gal cans in greenhouse and the tomatillo in a 5 gal. The other tomatillo never thrived so have a couple more started so this one is happy. Apparently they aren't happy unless they are in pairs. Turkeys are still having a whooping good time here. They actually come sit by my feet when I rest, but they don't like strangers. Guess I will be bringing the kennel back from the neighbors with the killing dog to lock them up and those folks will have to stay home or find another solution to controlling their animal. Watering the lawn as it began to look like straw overnight. One of my currant bushes I bought last year has little currants on it! Yay! Maybe some syrup this summer, its my FAVORITE

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Got me curious what variety of Marigolds VFEM.
I use the french out in the garden each year (away from my beans). I get a lot around the tomatoes and the squash. I know it helps with nematodes in the soil by the toxin the roots put out. I've already read the scent is off putting to moles and bunnies. I'm not sure how true that is! They do seem to have deminished the amount of cucumber beetles and squash bugs I've had to deal with over the years. I've seen a LARGE reduction in those.

But I also plant radish to allow to flower, and that seems to be where I find all the cucumber beetles now. But they leave my cukes alone!!!

I did read the toxin does do well with the legumes though. So I'm careful to plant away from peas and beans by at least 10 ft.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I haven't done anything in my garden the last couple of days, but my chickens have helped themselves to my swiss chard. it's very beautiful & if hubby doesn't like it, at least the chickens do.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my garden today all I did was 2 light waterings and the inventory.

The camp that I was working on to clean up the owner's 24 or so year old son arrived to finish. Whew!

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had a very productive day Saturday. I started off by processing 5 more CX for the freezer. Then went immediately to tilling the garden, then potted up 40 pepper plants and 64 tomatoes. I set up the greenhouse and moved all of the plants in. DW cleaned out the chicken coop, so I spread out the compost pile and dumped the litter on it. Then realized I ran the tiller out of gas...ugh. So, I go to turn it by hand, then pile it back up again...double ugh. After that I planted my potatoes, weeded the peas and hung the sun screens on DW's gazeebo. Last but not least, I cut the asparagus, which I enjoyed very much at dinner.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
At long last, we had a beautiful, perfect day! I was in the garden from sun-up to sun-down. Everything is tilled in the main garden. The ornamental gardens are weeded and the grass is cut. I had 5 wheelbarrows full of weeds and spring clean-up debris. I share most of it with the chickens- and they seem to enjoy it. Still plenty more to do- but I feel like I have a leg up on it. After dinner planted the onions and the fingerlings. The 50 pound bag of potatoes is still sitting there, looking at me! Happy to be at work today- resting!

Latest posts