What did You do "To Grow?"

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today. Yesterday. This Week. ?

I don't know about you but I've missed this thread, or something like it. There are some Big Projects threads! We have the "What are You Planting." There seems to be a several of Planning and Idea threads ...

Here, I'll start ... Yesterday, I set up the pvc hoops and covered them with plastic for the shed-attached hoop house. DW was a big help :).

What have you been up to, to grow?

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last Saturday I pulled buckets of grass out of the new, large bed behind the house that was started last summer. Then planted about 100 day lilies on the ends. Raked leaves, cleaned up the junk that has accumulated here and there over the winter.
As far as the garden itself... nothing - nadda - zip - zero.... I've gotten nothing done down there yet this spring.
sSa_falltopieces.gif

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got the spring cool weather stuff planted, about two to three weeks later than I should have because it was too wet, but at least it's done. I've been cleaning weeds and grass out plus putting compost in the rows I'll eventually plant the summer stuff. I finished "Herb Row" yesterday so It's ready for my annuals where I use transplants.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ooo...I need a "meltdown smiley". We got nothing. Not in the big garden anyway. I planted the cucumber seeds the other day, and bought the radish seeds yesterday. I need to plant a few things today, while it is still cool outside this morning. It gets too hot about 11 am, so it is time for inside work then.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I already posted this on that other thread, but I finally got my indoor seeds started. Better late than never I suppose.

I've been busy in the grow dept otherwise, caging peonies, transplanting shrubs, fertilizing beds.....just not for my own gardens.:(

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I'm going to interpret your "To Grow" a little differently.

I've mentioned before that I took a tomatoe growing class taught by our Alameda farmer. I learned how they grow their tomatoes here via the dry farming method. Trying it this year.

I also took a sourdough bread making class last Saturday. Hopefully after the second class, I will be able to make artisan breads.

Knowledge from these 2 classes is helping me to "grow".

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I like that bread yeast growin'. I've admitted somewhere on TEG that I lack sufficient kulture to make good beer, wine, or sauerkraut ~ on my own ;). Now belly button lint ...

DW says I should take the day off from "work" because I barked the knuckle on the digitS', y'day. Not gonna. That shed's like an oven right now with no ventilation. Solarizing the 2 garden beds, I guess. Oh, I can open a door but framing a window ain't gonna bust my knuckle open again ... anyway, I'll use a smaller hammer ;).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Frost every April morning has given way momentarily to above-freezing, 30mph wind gusts but the shed-attached hoop house is now in use! No heat just yet but the kale, cabbage and such are spending the night in there. Oh, I bet that plastic is jumping!

This has freed up space in the other hoop house for daytime visits by the tomato plants. No space heater goin' in there for awhile, either. It means that the tomatoes are carried back into the heated greenhouse each night. This is all done in the interest of giving them plenty of fresh air and sunlight ... I'm their slave ...

laboring digitS'

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Excellent thread!!!

Putting in fence posts around the garden today. Getting cattle panels today as well, for gating and trellising. Called to get a delivery of cheap or free wood chips to start the Back to Eden method of gardening...will come next week, 2 dump truck loads or more, depending on how big the truck and the need. Seeded my trays yesterday..finally...like Thistle, it's better late than never!

I guess this goes along with it because the deep litter in my chicken coop is an integral part of my gardening....building an extra breeding hut so that I will have three pens and hopefully will be breeding, incubating and hatching out new poo makers for my garden.

Latest posts