What did you pick today?

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tomatoes, My freezer is full of them. I told My DH today I am going to have to get another freezer so we can use it for meat. My patio table is full of tomatoes and I'll probably pull more tomorrow.

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
nccountrygirl said:
Tomatoes, My freezer is full of them. I told My DH today I am going to have to get another freezer so we can use it for meat. My patio table is full of tomatoes and I'll probably pull more tomorrow.
Nccountrygirl,

How do you prep your tomatoes for the freezer? I have a bunch I need to do something with today.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I actually got to pick a tomato the other day. It was the first to form on my plants, which are currently very full of immature and green fruits. The ripe tomato was a Black Russian and was a victim of whatever makes a tomato look all knarly and twisted. It looked really ugly but it tasted really good. I pretty much get 2-3 baby crook-necked squashes every day, which I fry up with butter, onions and garlic. I'm not gonna get a single green bean this year as the ground squirrels keep climbing the supports and eating off all of the leaves. My cantaloup plant has 5 little fruits on it, the biggest being about the size of pecans. I've got a pattypan plant that is full of blooms but no fruits as of yet. We have an anaheim chili plant that is loaded and just about ready to harvest. I'm gonna teach DS how to make my dad's chili rellenos with them.

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
gone 2 seed said:
nccountrygirl said:
Nccountrygirl,

How do you prep your tomatoes for the freezer? I have a bunch I need to do something with today.
Sorry, I just saw your post. I core the tomatoes and run a knife down the skin, then I drop them into boiling water for about 30 to 45 seconds the skin should slide off, then I put them into ice water and let them chill till I can handle them and remove the skins. I then quarter them and put them into quart freezer bags. I hope this helps.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
23 ears of Corn, a gallon bag full of beans, 1 Okra, 3 Eggplants, about 15-20 various peppers and 8-9 tomatoes!

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Another 1/2 bushel of tomatoes (still making juice, sauce, chili sauce & salsa), 1 bushel of cubanelle peppers, 4 watermelons (wish those could be stored for winter :p ), 1 cantaloupe and 1 peck okra

Latest posts