What did you pick today?

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I dug up some beets, and picked some broccoli today. I picked the last of my tomatos from the greenhouse, as well.

I have been harvesting broccoli from these same plants since about the beginning of August. Sure, they are the secondary sprouts, and small, but I have 12 plants, so I get enough weekly for a real good meal for three people. Just don't let any of the heads go to seed, and they will keep producing for you. The plants are all about 3 feet high, and each have 10-12 mini heads per plant.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I like how this post has lasted since spring. It's interesting to see what people pick throughout the growing season. I picked all of my peppers because the plants got zapped by frost last night. Right on schedule! Our early frost date is Oct 15. Picked a bunch of broccolis; like bills, mine are all the little side shoots. I don't think I ever got a good main head, but have been getting little ones all summer. Picked my first radish, and a bunch of snow peas. I've been slacking on them, and they're getting too big before I pick them.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
zinna seed from a flower pot and marigold seed from those planted in my garden from last years seed, and from the large patch that reseeded its self in last years garden. I want to do wild flowers in the edge of the field that the lawn is taking back. Im hoping to reclaim that part of the yard.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Picked parsley for parsley-butter bread, last night -- the cold-frame lettuce is almost ready for me to be able to snip the first few token leaves. Still eating windowsill-ripened tomatoes from the sadly small stash of green ones in the basement.

Today however it is in the low 30s, barely above freezing, with a hard N wind and consistent wet snow.

<snarl>

Pat, having not actually gotten the garlic in yet

redhead83402

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Some corn for the chickens ~ they deserved a treat! Also the last of the cauliflower. I guess next year I'll be planting WAY more ~ I was surprised at how fast we ran out of everything, or maybe just how fast we used it all up.

All I can say is this ~ I am SOOO glad I am not a pioneer, depending on what I harvested for the entire winter & on into spring before we got more. Because I'd be a flat stanley for sure ( nice weight-loss program, but a little ... overkill.) :-D
~Red

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Everything ;) It was supposed to freeze hard last night, so I got in all the eggplants, hot and sweet peppers, green tomatoes and a bunch of lettuce, radishes and squash. I'm hoping the carrots, chard, Brussels, spinach, beets and radishes can take some cold. Does anybody know how they all survice in temps in the 20s?

unclejoe

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I still have beets and carrots in the ground and so far they have weathered a couple of nights in the upper 20's. A few years ago I left some of the carrots in the ground all winter and dug them out when I wanted some, although once the ground freezes it's tough digging. The ones I didn't pick even started growing again when spring came around.

Latest posts