What did you pick today?

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just more squash here today. In fact, I've got to tell DS to leave them on the vine a little longer. Some of the ones he brought in today were still pretty green, supposed to be YELLOW crook-necked squash. :lol: Maybe he's color blind? :rolleyes:

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I let stuff go all this week because I've been working long hours.

So...

About 2 pounds of sugar snap peas (there was actually 2-1/2 pounds but not all made it)
About 3 pounds of string beans (yellow, purple and green varieties)
A 5 gallon bucket of various tomatoes
8 ears of corn
10 stress free cucumbers
3 handfuls of turnip greens (yuck!)
15 or so carrots
a few handfuls of various peppers
a bowl full of tomatillos
20 zucchini and yellow squash

some red sunflowers for a vase inside

a bunch of cucumber beetles

Now to figure out dinner.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow, Oakland! You must have a pretty good sized lot up there in the city!

Today I picked tomatoes (of course) and, and, and. . . . . my first green beans!!!

:ya

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just picked my first zucchinis!! Also, more green beans and sugar snap peas. :dance Just waiting for my yellow squash to get a little bigger. Maybe tomorrow.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Backyard Buddies said:
Wow, Oakland! You must have a pretty good sized lot up there in the city!

Today I picked tomatoes (of course) and, and, and. . . . . my first green beans!!!

:ya
You'd think so but we only have a 12' x 12' garden for the summer plus a 9' x 15' patch that we use for our squash, pumpkins, watermelon, melons, etc that we've take over from the neighbors. We have 4- 6' x 4' raised beds that we use over the "winter" while our main garden is recovering with cover crops. We use intensive methods that get the most out of our garden.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, great harvest, Oakland! Sounds like stir fry to me! (I like tomatillos in my summer stir fries!) Well, all except for the beetles, of course. :D

That Yoga must be working already! ;)

Who gets the turnip greens, the chickens?

I'm sorry you've been working so hard, though. I hope that you get a little more free time soon.

Yeah, Backyard Buddies! I love fresh green beans! I like to cook them, put them back in the pot on the stove to dry a minute, then add butter and some lemon juice. Simple but wonderful! :)

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That sounds delicious, Tutter. I'll have to try that. . . if I can ever keep them around long enough to cook them!

Oakland, are the 6' X 4' beds contained within that 12' X 12' area or is that in addition to it? My home garden is combined with my chicken coop/run area within a 25' X 11' area. In that space, I have 4 raised beds that are roughly the size of yours, some bigger some smaller. I'd love to learn ways to get more out of the space that I have.

Anyways, to stay on topic . . . Yesterday I picked more 'maters and more green beans. The green beans never got to be cooked. The kids and I ate them all fresh. I LOVE this variety - Jade. They're way more tasty than varieties I've grown in the past. The pods are long and thin, very tender, with a fabulous taste. I will plant this same variety again next year. I highly recommend!

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yesterday at the church - Tomatoes, eggplant, peppers (both hot and sweet), green beans (lots of 'em), and tons of Persian cucumbers. I only kept 3 of the cucumbers for myself and turned the rest in for distribution.

Today at home - tomatoes, green beans, fresh basil, and my first two Zukes!!

It's not surprising that tonight's dinner was green beans with lemon, steamed zucchini, and a cucumber/tomato salad with fresh basil. I served all that along side some fresh salmon. Yum!

Latest posts