What Didn't You Do?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are 12 weeks into Spring. Almost no matter how far north or high in elevation your garden is, it is probably 90% or more planted. What did you forget or neglect to do?

Come on! It'll do you good. Maybe just to reinforce the idea so that you can actually do it, in 2016. What was it? Or, what were those multiple notions you had, likely 3 or 6 or 9 months past? What did you think would be really cool to try, or you knew you really should do, that was left abandoned on the side of the road as you poopsy-doodled through your first gardening months.
Here are two of mine:
  • Sowing a grain with the veggies to pull and lay as a mulch, mid-season.
  • Sowing a very early variety of tomato seed directly into the garden to see if I can get a crop of tomatoes that way.
If you want, I've got excuses. They were both just failures in thinking things thru. If you are curious, I can relate them but if these two ideas don't catch your fancy, they would likely just bore you. Both amount to being unwilling to take one turn and failing to see the alternative until it was too late ... :rolleyes:

What are you too late gettin' 'round to?

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would rather keep it a secret but the watermelon I started early got hardened off a little too hard. Oopsie. The kale still hasn't been planted, even though I'm sure I can squeeze it in somewhere and the potatoes are still waiting for their fist hilling.

Hey! I have excuses too!

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I still haven't gotten my melon and pumpkin seeds planted. I am also living on borrowed time since I haven't groundhog proofed my newest garden. I just hope they don't discover it before I finish.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't get any potatoes planted at all--except the sweets.
And my flower beds look really bad. Lots of weeds and I am trying not to use any herbicides, so mostly the weeds just grow with abandon.
I don't have the excuse of sciatica problems this year, so I can't blame it on that. Just less enthusiasm.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My aching back would always serve but it is one of the reasons I feel the need for the exercise, @so lucky . I have come to understand something of my personality. If something won't suffer from my inactivity (& I suppose that includes me :\), I won't do a thing ...

I may be off my game with the spuds, @thistlebloom . Saving seed for those Daisy Gold, they went in early and have bloomed! Beginning about 2 weeks ago ... I don't see blooms on any other plants yet but they are all skinny things. The soil is fertile ground but I can't imagine much "bulking up" of the tubers.

@MoonShadows , I once gardened where the rules of the surrounding park forbade even the harassment of the marmots. I built a chicken wire fence buried part way into the ground.

The top of the wire had no staples. It would flop out if the marmot tried to climb it. It didn't work 100% but they didn't seem to be able to figure it out early and had their midsummer hibernation schedule, which took some of the pressure off. Those marmots were just too, too much, however.

Steve
who has some more cukes & zucchini to put in, today or tomorrow. more China asters for the flower beds ... those will be late crops.

Last edited: