What Do Ya'll DO All Winter?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have read several moaning posts about the winter and waiting for spring and I sympathize. I can't EMPATHIZE because I have no experience in winter snows and freezing cold that lasts for months and months. We have had several weeks of drizzle, freezing nights, gloomy gray skies, wind that finds the button undone on my jacket, and a few rains thrown in (for which I am grateful).

I am going nuts. :he I want to go outside and :tools dig in the dirt, finish working on the brooder cage for my baby chicks, (all 20 of them are in a large dog kennel in the living room) and make something :watering GROW! It was sleeting earlier and that gave me no incentative for playing outside. Oh sure, I have things I could be doing inside, but the gray gloom I see outside permeates to the inside, with the result that I don't want to do anything. Oh wait, yes I do want to do something inside--I want to make a lemon chess pie and bake some bread--but the oven died a week and a half before Christmas and the new one I ordered isn't here yet. :/

So how do ya'll do it? How do ya'll stand being cooped up like a chicken looking at the gray gloom outside, the snow piles and the freezing temps ya'll complain about that never seem to end? At least we get above freezing in the daytime, up in the 40's, but it is the lack of sunshine that is getting to me. Sunday is supposed to be sunny with a high of 60. I think I'll throw a party! Then Monday it'll be back to gray gloom and drizzly rain. At least it won't be freezing, just a wet cold blah. We usually have more sunny days than this, and mixed in with all the gray gloomy days. It has just been a few weeks for me, I can't imagine what ya'll go through.

Also contributing to my cabin fever is the fact that my 89 year old mother lives with us now and there are a lot of things I can no longer do. I can't be gone very long from home unless she goes with me and she has absolutely no intrest in what I like to do. We have 16 acres a few miles from town that we had logged off and I can only look at the mess of tops and stumps. If I could go spend the whole day out there, then I would be quite happy piling and burning and getting filthy. Oh well. I was able to saw a tree in half today that had fallen on my cross fence.

My 5 year old grand daughter had the flu at Christmas. Then her parents got it and were very sick. By that time she was bouncing off the walls, so they called me to come get her. We kept her almost a week, then my DH got sick, now my mom is sick (I was mean and dragged her to the doctor yesterday) and I hung garlic around my neck and am carrying a wooden stake. :lol:

The drizzly rain has started again. The dogs are asleep on their blanket. Mom is asleep. All is quiet. I think I'll go unload the dishwasher and make another mess in the kitchen. :lol:

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
uuuuuummm..... :p
-learn a new indoor hobby...i'm getting back into learning to knit and i'm learning to spin my own yarn.
-work on some stained glass.
-grow some indoor plants and force those to bloom! i had my x-mas cactus in bloom till last week. my amaryllis and hyacinth are in bloom now.
-drooling over all the nice stuff in the gardening catalogs that have been coming since mid November.
-finding new sources of online plant and tree info.
-finding new suppliers of fruit and nut trees and berry plants.
-oh, an occasional trip to the local greenhouse also helps to get me ready for starting seeds in the next few months.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Awww Baymule! You need a hug! :hugs

I actually like winter.

I don't have to go anywhere, I can let things heal that I can't in the growing season, I can spend time reading or cleaning or taking the critters for walks. There's no rushing or time limits or, uh, garden anxiety.

For me it's important to get outside every day, even when it's yukky, and get my heart and lungs working hard. Conveniently, that usually involves moving snow around, which is a have-to, not really an option. Getting some extra moving really helps with the blahs.
But if I don't have to shovel any new stuff, I have animals that enjoy long walks, and if my husband is available we like to snowshoe over in the state park down the road.

I don't have someone depending on me like you do, so I understand how you would be chomping at the bit to accomplish tasks that you aren't able to get to.

I hope your new stove arrives soon and you don't get the plague! :)

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I spend some time planning the upcoming garden and see what new varieties are being offered. Theirs nothing like grabbing hot coffee or tea and spend time indoors turning pages of garden catalogs, and circling what I see looks good to me. I also try to do other things during the Winter to help offset the cold dark feel of winter. I do enjoy baking bread and even get to make cured sausages and this winter I'm going to trying making my own smoked-bacon. Theirs always something you can do to help you make it through until the warm days of spring are here.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Baymule, I sure feel for you. Having an elderly parent move in with you is stressful enough, without everybody getting sick!
Is there anyone that could come sit with Mom for a day occasionally, while you get out and do your chores? Is she able to go to the senior center in town, if there is one? Some communities have adult day care, too.
I don't have a little one to take care of right now, and my mom is in assisted living, so I pretty much have lots of free time since I quit work.
This winter I have been learning to crochet, making several different types of stuffed animals for the grandkids, reading, planning spring garden, cleaning out old clutter, making new clutter. I don't look outside much when it is dreary, except to be thankful that I am warm and dry.
I hope things look brighter for you soon. Please take care of yourself, mentally and physically, above all else. Otherwise, you can't take care of everybody else.;)

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, winter around here is almost as busy as summertime.

1. Indoor winter projects:
Install new deep sink in the utility room
Add a toilet in the furnace room (been wanting one in there for years)
Re-building my old spinning wheel
Design and build a new electric spinning wheel
Spinning and plying yarn
Helping DW w/knitting, crocheting, and sewing
Build new beehive boxes
Build new green bean tee-pees
Read and study new gardening methods

2. Outdoor winter projects:
Build new greenhouse
Build shelving and tables for new greenhouse
Repair old goat barn roof
Build new outdoor rabbit crates
Feed the chickens and clean coop daily
Feed the rabbits and clean barn daily
Breed the rabbits twice a month
Process meat rabbits twice a month
Deer hunting every Thursday morning 11/6/2012 thru 12/31/2012 w/friend
Coyote hunting every Wednesday night 1/1/2013 thru 3/12/2013 w/friend
Shovel snow
Shovel snow
Shovel snow
Shovel snow

As you can see my dance card is pretty full all winter long. We only have one small TV in the kitchen/dining room and the reception here sucks so we don't watch much of the idiot box. So that allows us time to pursue more meaningful things and keep moving all year 'round.

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
If your mom is physically and mentally up to it, I second the idea of the senior center or adult day care.At least with her occupied for a few hours, you can go get something done and wear yourself out and get dirty. Helps almost as much as sunshine.

When my MIL moved in with us a few years ago, she was in the starting-to-get-severe stages of Alzheimers. My barn is only 150 FEET from the house and I couldn't go feed without coming back to find all the curtains closed and doors locked...fortunately she never remembered the one from the garage! The most priceless thing anybody ever did for me then was to let me go OUT and play in the dirt for awhile without worrying about upsetting her. I hope your situation isn't that cramped, but if you're getting claustrophobic, call someone who'll come stay for a couple of hours once in awhile. I found lots of help when I quit trying to do it all, found my vocal chords and asked.

Big hug headed south for you!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Boy, Baymule, i can sympathize with the weather woes ...that's our weather for most or all of a VERY long winter. Hard to get motivated when its just gray gray gray. Stick with it, it has to be over some day, probably sooner for you than me!!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wellp Bay, I have a whole laundry list of things to keep you busy during your bone chilling 60 degree (above) weather!

You could tell everyone you have to go out and dig around a pipe that froze and repair it. Just make sure you have spare shoes and spare warm dry socks at the ready waiting for you when you're done.

You could buy a snow shovel and keep it by your mudroom door to remind yourself how short and mild your winters are. Just make sure you dust the cobwebs off it once in awhile.

You could pull the snow chains out of your 4 wheel drive and make sure they are clean and free of rust, good and dry so they are easier to install when you need to.

There's always something to do to avoid cabin fever! By day 17 of the record cold spell and Ice storm blizzards while all 3 of your vehicles are popsickles with frozen batteries, and when every time someone spends 34 minutes putting on extra layers on to go next door and they always open the door for half a second and decide they don't really need to go anywhere after all, why, there is always something to do!

You can go to the closet and get the puzzle you put together 3 years ago, and put it together again!

Course, at the top of the list is about how to avoid all the arguments that happen by day 17! Northerners have their ways around this problem. My own personal favorite uses my bad tinnitus to full advantage. Keep saying what?, and huh?, and make sure you add plenty of oh shoot i give up, I can't hear what you're saying's. Sometimes you have to add an entire non sequitor response to make sure they know you don't feel like arguing!

So ya see, wintertime cabin fever is very real, and is even contagious. Just gotta be well vaccinated against it!

Bay, on the good days when the sun has a feeble low shine sometime around 1 in the afternoon, and it's still low on the horizon, on the other side of the trees, northerners make their own light. Seriously, those are the days to go outside and enjoy visiting, go to a local festival, things like that.

I don't think it's whining so much as mentioning how it is again.

My post here? A general mixing of humorous playful sarcasm, general babbling because I can, and a sharing of experience...who know which is what and where, but it's all there :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
. . . add an entire non sequitor response . . .
This hard of hearing guy was trained in social science fieldwork by linguists. As improbable as that may seem. They taught me that using non sequitor responses was an "elicitation technique." You think about it. Say "what was that?" once and you may get a repetition of words. Say "what?" and the speaker may resort to some careful and direct wording. For the 3rd time say "huh?" and you'll get about 2 words shouted with an angry look!

Try a hopeless non sequitor and the speaker is completely disarmed :p. He or she will start over and cheerfully explain. . . If you are where I am now, and since you heard nothing that last time also, it is time to nod knowingly, smile and disappear around a corner.

Bay', a lot of my time is just taken up with staying warm. But, I believe I have been doing the opposite of complaining. Did I explain that it got down to 6F just a couple of days ago? Seems like I was writing about it being 9 and that would be the winter low last winter but the thermometer dropped a few more degrees by sunrise. I am assuming that there will be colder weather. It would be a very surprisingly warm winter again if there is no below zero weather here.

I expect it, I know how to survive it, but I do NOT like to be cold. Snow is lovely. I seem to have an awful lot of paths to shovel when we have snow but I am really quite happy to look out the window and see where I've been :cool:.

Snow reflects the light and I can even see where I've been in the middle of the night :). And, if you are having trouble with southern winter darkness think for a minute about what it is like to have 16 hours of it! When the sun is shining, it is hugging the southern horizon like an orange tabby sneaking up on a grasshopper. Of course, the sun isn't shining during most of the, so-called, "daylight" hours, here in the Pacific Northwest. Moan . . .

DW had a birthday this week. I bought her a lamp . . .

Steve :coolsun
edited tu cerect mi spalen

Latest posts