What do you do with your left over seeds?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
blossom said:
I have been sticking the extra seeds, still in their packets into ziplock sandwich bags and sticking into a popcorn tin (the kind that already popped comes in). I went through it this year and as a lark, planted some tomato seeds that were packed for the 1996 season. Well, I now have some very leggy seedlings of Rutgers Select and Heatwave Hybrid tomatoes growing on the enclosed back porch. So, if kept dry, seeds do have a much longer shelf life than we have been led to believe. I'll probably put these plants into the garden just to see how well they produce. Oh, I do not have a grow light nor bottom heat on the pots they are planted in. Probably why they are so very leggy.
This is true... I planted some seeds marked for the 2003 growing season... I had 100% germination on the 12 seeds I had. And they are doing FABULOUSLY!

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Last year I offered them on the local Freecycle list and had at least a dozen people wh wanted them. I ended up giving them to a young Mom who wanted to plant a garden with her kids.

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I save them in ziploc baggies & I have a covered plastic shoe box too. I planted seeds from 1999 this yr & got them all up. I keep mine in the freezer & no problems.

Latest posts