What Do You Prefer, Bush Beans or Pole Beans?

Bush Beans or Pole Beans?

• Bush Beans

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Pole Beans

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only variety that that passes mom's taste test are white half runners. As far as she's concerned, anything else wastes her time. They're what she grew up with, and what I grew up eating until she and dad quit gardening and she lost her seed.

We've tried a few other varieties but none of them have passed the taste test. They're always just a little "off,"

That's what my mom says...exactly. The other beans just can't compare, has even said other varieties taste like chemicals, of which I use none in my gardening. It's what she grew up with, as has the rest of my family, so they won't eat anything else I've planted. I can grow Fortex here like crazy, but they won't touch them, so I use them as a sacrifice crop around the fence for the Jap beetles to infest and the chickens can jump up and consume the beetles there where the Fortex hangs over the outside of the fence. Even the deer and sheep won't eat the Fortex, but they will eat the half runners like candy.

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can't tell the difference in the smell of the beans raw, but once they are cooked it's all about the flavor. Green beans are a bit of a thing around here. Only one variety of green beans cooked one way gets served at mom's table. Ever. She's quit buying even canned beans from the grocery store if they list the variety on the can. For some reason she absolutely hates blue lake and kentucky wonder, which are both grown commercially in this area.

I hate to say it, but i'll be glad to have some good green beans this fall, too.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I also don’t appreciate blue lake or Kentucky wonder. One of large reasons people garden is due to taste. I’ve given Roma II away and some rave, some decline politely when you ask if they want any. My 80+ year old neighbor is one who likes the tenderettes but will decline the aroma.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just for fun, which do you like better; Bush Beans or Pole Beans?

I like Bush Beans better for two reasons:

1. Bush Beans take up less space. True, they also give less beans, but still...

2. Their taste. Maybe it's just me, but I like the taste of Bush Beans better. Or maybe it's their texture. Does anybody else notice a difference in taste or texture?
I prefer pole beans, They grow tall enough to warrant a trellis, either a form of tepee or a type of curtain. They also harvest longer, producing more beans for the space they use. We have more yummy beans!

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's what my mom says...exactly. The other beans just can't compare, has even said other varieties taste like chemicals, of which I use none in my gardening. It's what she grew up with, as has the rest of my family, so they won't eat anything else I've planted. I can grow Fortex here like crazy, but they won't touch them, so I use them as a sacrifice crop around the fence for the Jap beetles to infest and the chickens can jump up and consume the beetles there where the Fortex hangs over the outside of the fence. Even the deer and sheep won't eat the Fortex, but they will eat the half runners like candy.
The key difference between bush and polar beans is their assistance. Every green bean like a little help, but polar beans grow a lot bigger and really have to climb tree or poles to get a good harvest. Growing string beans are so simple that only brown thumb gardeners succeed

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I grow rattle snake green beans. They do really well here in the heat of summer. This will be my 3rd year planting my own beans. I find they get better each year since they are acclimatizing to our area.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i just don't understand this pickyness about the taste of various fresh beans. they're all good to me as long as they aren't too chewy/stringy. when they reach that stage i leave them for dry beans.

and if you haven't grown any shelly beans or lima beans to use as shellies, give 'em a try. we eat a lot of those as often as we can.

once they are dry the different textures and flavors are also worth exploring. some people don't get it, but if you can bring yourself to get off the spice and meat habit of cooking all your beans you might find that the textures and flavors are there. yes, they can be delicate but i do find them all interesting and worth eating...

that said, we did make a big pot of baked beans last week with bacon, onions, bbq sauce (homemade is easy with ketchup, a shot of mustard and brown sugar along with some spices you might like) and then sliced hot dogs into it too at the end. ate that all week... :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grow rattle snake green beans. They do really well here in the heat of summer. This will be my 3rd year planting my own beans. I find they get better each year since they are acclimatizing to our area.
They might not be very well acclimated but I like them :).

@flowerbug , maybe I don't appreciate the delicacy of stringbeans but some of the modern types have very little bean flavor. I was pleased to have found Greencrop as a bush bean but DW put the kibosh on that one years ago.

I thought purple bush beans were okay but she definitely resists.

I thought that I was doing well to venture away from pinto, red kidney and navy. But, we don't eat many dry beans - fresh (!) you know. The Rattlesnake is tasty both green and dry and DW likes them dry, fortunately for me.

Steve

Latest posts