What Do You Think Trailer

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay more than a $50~if that~ for that around here but don't know what things go for in your neck of the woods. We just bought a 4x6 for $300 the other day and it looks nearly new, has reinforced frame and tongue to carry heavier loads than the original design and has wooden racks on the side to increase depth...it also came with two extra hitches. We are currently replacing the wiring harness and giving it a fresh coat of black paint on the frame but that's all it will need.

Will post pics of it when we are done giving it a spit shine.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL My neck of the woods is expensive !!! I hate when you go online and before they give prices you have to enter your zip code. I feel like they are telling me you pay more because of where you live.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you get your trailer, NY, and you have to get a new wiring harness for it, you might think of protecting the wire in some way. I've had wiring harnesses chewed by young dogs and by squirrels...for some reason they seem attracted to this kind of wiring. You usually don't find it out until you really need to use that trailer out on the road and then find you have no brake lights. :rolleyes: I've had to replace a wiring harness twice on the same trailer due to this little problem.

This new trailer we have, we are going to try flexible conduit to protect the wires under the trailer in hopes, as it sits idle throughout the seasons, that the herd of squirrels around here won't see fit to render my $28 wiring harness into a useless bit of nothing.

Sam BigDeer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As your stated intent to haul dirt caused me to think about weight carrying capability; I think that tongue looks long and slender, (it won't carry a full load of dirt, especially wet dirt!)
Just something to think about...
Sam

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
As your stated intent to haul dirt caused me to think about weight carrying capability; I think that tongue looks long and slender, (it won't carry a full load of dirt, especially wet dirt!)
Just something to think about...
Sam

I was thinking the exact same thing! When I saw that tongue and also the rust in the corners of the trailer body, I kept thinking one or the other would likely give way under a heavy load at the worst possible moment.

I had an old trailer once, a 4x8, that I tried hauling a load of manure in. Up until then I had thought that old thing was sturdy, a homemade job that I had used for much moving of my home across the state, to several houses, firewood, you name it, I had put it in that old trailer. I thought it was nigh indestructible.

I didn't even get 15 mi. before I had a tire that had rolled off the rim and shredded...pulled over to find that the reason it had done that was that my axle had bent from the heavy load of the manure. And that wasn't wet manure, but very old and very dry manure we had stomped down and piled high.

Had to unload half of it right there by the road, jack up the trailer, take the tire back to the nearest town for repairs, put it back on and proceed the 20 mi. home. Had to return for that other half a load on another day.

That load of manure was my Mother's Day present to myself and my mother...was going to split it with her. I drove her half clear across the state in that swaybacked old trailer. :D

I'm sure folks living nearby and passing by wondered how a huge pile of manure appeared in that wide spot in the road....and then disappeared a week later. :gig

My old trailer was never the same again and I learned a valuable lesson that day....make sure the trailer fits the load.

Latest posts