what do you use for mulch in your garden?

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Purple Strawberry said:
What about using burlap bags? You could cut them to size and reuse them each year.

Good idea or not?
Sure, why not? They're just jute fiber or something thing like that (whats a "jute," anyway?). I've heard of people using carpet, too. If you can actually find burlap bags anymore, they strike me as a great base layer.

I say "base layer" because they are rather open and porous, so I dont know how well they would retain moisture.

If you recall, there are two reasons for mulching:
1. Keep weeds under control
2. Retain moisture in the soil.

An open weave fabric like burlap might wick moisture off, and even cool the soil through evaporation. We used to make an evaporative "camp cooler" from a peach crate covered with dampened burlap.
Not to mention the fact that the open weave fabric might allow those criminal weeds to work on through.

But the fabric, coupled with a top dressing of fine leaves or other attractive, natural mulches might be ideal.

One way to find out!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Un-composted maple leaves: Didn't work so great. Forms a nearly watertight packed layer on top.

Really rotten hay that the dogs peed on: Worked OK. I think the dog pee might have burned plants a little.

Un-composted chicken litter made of mostly pine chips: Worked awesome but needed a good sprinkle of lime to pH balance.

Cardboard: Worked on many weeds, not on creeping charlie/ground ivy that simply creeped into a crevice between cardboard layers.

Composted leaves: Merely fertilized the weeds.

Landscaping fabric: Weeds grew up around the edges, but if you want to do something else in the bed next year, it's a giant pain to undo.

cherokeechicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
so far i am using the old hay and no weeds as of yet:fl i have sime chicken litter mixed with grass clippings brewing in a compost pile :idunno will have to wait and see i guess. i am just expermenting trying to see what works best here .

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there! :frow

When I first moved into my present house I inherited a large area laid to a lawn, various large trees, a pre 2nd World War chicken House, varios ram-shackled duck & chicken run & an ever-growing HUGE patch of Ground Ivy (as well as the usual selection of weeds). All the previous owners had done was occasionally mow the grass. I knew I would have to deal with the Ground Ivy first as it is one of the hardest plants to get rid of -- no chemicals seem to touch it! :ep

This is what I am talking about, in case you don't have it in the US:
http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicweeds/weed_information/weed.php?id=83
[ 2nd EDIT -- Ah! I've just found out you certainly DO have it......!!]
http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/weedguide/singlerecord.asp?id=690

I did a lot of research & decided that as I wanted to take all the existing carpets out of the house this was a perfect solution. I got someone to cut it all back, put the old carpet face-down over the areas covered by Ground Ivy & proceeded to plant my woodland garden. I haven't seen one tiny scrap of the offending weed since. :celebrate

I covered the areas with pebbles to form a wide but basically straight path down the centre of this woodland area; it makes my garden look much longer because of the perspective. I planted lots of tall shrubs & small trees on either side. I found the carpet was a terrific mulch & the shrubs grew very fast despite 3 very hot summers with long periods of water restrictions!

A lot of people here in the UK use this carpet technique when they take over previously abandoned vegetable allotments owned by the local councils. But they take the carpet up after a period of time, once the weeds have died off.

:rose Hattie :rose

2468Gardeningisgr8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
Hi there! :frow

When I first moved into my present house I inherited a large area laid to a lawn, various large trees, a pre 2nd World War chicken House, varios ram-shackled duck & chicken run & an ever-growing HUGE patch of Ground Ivy (as well as the usual selection of weeds). All the previous owners had done was occasionally mow the grass. I knew I would have to deal with the Ground Ivy first as it is one of the hardest plants to get rid of -- no chemicals seem to touch it! :ep

This is what I am talking about, in case you don't have it in the US:
http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicweeds/weed_information/weed.php?id=83
[ 2nd EDIT -- Ah! I've just found out you certainly DO have it......!!]
http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/weedguide/singlerecord.asp?id=690

I did a lot of research & decided that as I wanted to take all the existing carpets out of the house this was a perfect solution. I got someone to cut it all back, put the old carpet face-down over the areas covered by Ground Ivy & proceeded to plant my woodland garden. I haven't seen one tiny scrap of the offending weed since. :celebrate

I covered the areas with pebbles to form a wide but basically straight path down the centre of this woodland area; it makes my garden look much longer because of the perspective. I planted lots of tall shrubs & small trees on either side. I found the carpet was a terrific mulch & the shrubs grew very fast despite 3 very hot summers with long periods of water restrictions!

A lot of people here in the UK use this carpet technique when they take over previously abandoned vegetable allotments owned by the local councils. But they take the carpet up after a period of time, once the weeds have died off.

Wow ...thanks for that information....

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh yes, old carpet is a WONDERFUL weedblock (preferably with a little bit of regular mulch on top).

I would seriously not recommend using burlap bags though. a) they are so much more useful for other things, b) they decompose quite rapidly, like within a season you won't be able to pick them up without them falling apart, and before they decompose c) weeds grow right up through them but because they're stuck thru the weave of the bag they are quite difficult to weed out. The plastic 'burlap' type feedbags aren't much better IME, for the same reasons except decomposition.

JME,

Pat

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there :frow

My mulch was three inches of pebbles...!! :D But now 5 years later there is a lot of soil that just found it's own way there! All sorts of plants have self seeded into it -- Ladies Mantle, Grannies Bonnets, Oregano, Lithodora, Thyme etc. It's great for taking cuttings by layering too.

I had three huge bags of mixed sized pebbles delivered at a very good price. It also contained beautiful shells which I collected together & used as a mulch on top of some of my flower pots. Visiting children are fascinated by the stoned & love to go around collecting them -- keeps them quiet & occupied for ages.....!! :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate ;)

I had to come in as it was so hot -- it's mid afternoon here & the hottest day of the year so far --PHEW !! :th