What do you use?

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Okay, I've seen it all now...at TSC, right at the counter, they were selling "kitchen scrap bins" (or something to that effect, I can't remember exactly now)...heavy enamel-coated pots with tight-fitting lids to put your scraps in before going into the compost...all for the lowlowlow price of $22.95!! :coolsun

I recall my mom using a half-gallon milk carton; I use an old plastic Maxwell House container myself (but I'm admittedly unsophisticated. ;)) But it got me wondering what others use....?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a really fancy one with a mountain scene printed on the side and the words "Mountain High Yogurt". Yep, the kids will get it when I pass on.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah 2bz, you are just askin' so as to make fun of us . . .

Okay, if you are unsophisticated with a Maxwell House coffee can how about a 5 gallon bucket in a box on the deck?

My compostables are buried in the garden and I usually have some "earthworks" going somewhere. As I cleaned the smaller veggie garden there was one section of a bed that hadn't been amended last Fall. So, I dug it out and tossed weeds in it. That bucket has been filling for a month. I'd better get it over there and put about 8" of soil on top of its contents.

Steve

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am really very sophisticated :gig

Mine sits next to the sink on the counter top, I fill it during the day, empty it each morning into the compost pile, wash and refill, and it cost me quite a few dollars!!!!

It's a 1 gallon empty ice cream tub. :lol:

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Ah 2bz, you are just askin' so as to make fun of us . . .

Okay, if you are unsophisticated with a Maxwell House coffee can how about a 5 gallon bucket in a box on the deck?
Actually, I was making fun of who-ever thought you needed a fancy-shmancy $22 pot for your wilted lettuce & used coffee grounds! :rolleyes: :p

But Steve...does that mean you have to go out onto your deck whenever you have scraps to dispose of...? I mean, my compost bin is at the bottom of the stairs in my yard, but I have the coffee can in the kitchen where I dump things first. When it's full (or smells!) I carry it out to the bin in the yard. Or am I the only one...? :/

ETA: Oh good, Warthog does it too! :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, the deck is just out the backdoor.

Peelings, and there are quite a few because that's how we eat :p, go in a bowl or whatever and are carried out at the end of a meal, anyway.

The bucket will go in the back of the pickup for the trip to a garden a few miles away. I should park the pickup beside the deck and just toss th . . . nah, DW would never go for that :rolleyes:.

Steve

CricketB

Sprout
Reaction score
I use a nice ceramic container that sort of looks like a cross between a fire hydrant and mini trash can with a carbon filter on the inside of the lid that I got from World Market, $14.50. I know I could just use any container but if it has to sit out on my counter, I want it to at least go with the rest of the decor! Judge me all you want! lol

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Isn't that what those old folger cans are for?! Well don't I look stupid now! :lol:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to keep an old plastic tupperware bowl on the counter for mine, until my MIL found me a black ceramic compost crock at the Goodwill for $3. The crock looks very nice and has a charcoal filter in the lid to keep down the smells, but unfortunately I don't think to dump it everyday like I did the smaller bowl. It is also a little more annoying to clean, but I like it well enough to keep it. ;)

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have one of these under the sink:
31WqRb8Vw1L._SS500_.jpg

I think I paid $2.00 for it.

Latest posts