What do you use?

calendula

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
CricketB said:
I use a nice ceramic container that sort of looks like a cross between a fire hydrant and mini trash can with a carbon filter on the inside of the lid that I got from World Market, $14.50. I know I could just use any container but if it has to sit out on my counter, I want it to at least go with the rest of the decor! Judge me all you want! lol
We have one of those too! It is so much nicer than plastic containers. Those always end up cracking and breaking on us, they just don't last as long as ceramic. And the ceramic containers look nicer and keep the rotting food smell to a minimum. I really like that carbon filter.

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Heehee! As I pointed out in my OP, I guess I'm not as sophisticated as some of ya'll! ;) A nice crock would look wonderful, but it's just one more thing for me to clean! (Much easier for me to throw out the old coffee can when it gets dirty/smelly.)

Anyway, shows how much I know - I had never seen a container specifically sold for kitchen scraps, & turns out they're "old hat" for a lot of you! :cool:

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Count me among the "fancy smancy" group!! My favorite color is cobalt blue- so my crock is too! I did feel guilty spending money on it- but you know I use it everyday, and I have had it for many years. So, in the end-I am glad to have it!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are many different wonderful ones out there. I came pretty close to buying one no matter the price! I go for "pretty". :hide

In the end, I got a green bucket at the farmer's market that the county was giving away for free. It sits on the floor by my fridge. Wouldn't dare put anything on my counters that wasn't pretty! lol

I take it out once a week to my compost because I'm always forgetting to do it more often. Luckily it doesn't smell.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We could also talk about what goes in the compost crock/can/bucket.

I only have one rule for anything that would compost - I don't put cooked food in the bucket. The exception is coffee grounds; they are certainly cooked altho' they might not quite be "food."

The mice moved into my compost pile once. I have also had stray dogs dig into it. After I went with the no cooked food rule - no more of either of those! If it is actually food, it can go to the hens.

Paper finds its way in there fairly often. And, since my bucket is outdoors, I use it for weeds out of the yard also.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm a neat freak. I only put in fruit or vegetable peels, cores, bad lettuce or cilantro, and used tea leaves.

Mary

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I use a paper grocery bag, and toss the whole thing into the compost when it's time to dump. :)

I put EVERYTHING into it. Paper towels, paper plates (we're working with a reduced kitchen currently, so paper plates are a necessary evil), veg peelings/trimmings, leftover rice (that my boyfriend can never seem to remember to save in the fridge)... anything without dairy or meat, cooked or not.

I also spike my outdoor pile with the occasional load of horse manure and shavings, and weeds from the as-yet-untamed portions of the yard.

calendula

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We use a paper grocery bag for tissues, napkins, and other paper products, and then we bury them in the compost pile. It actually doesn't take very long for it to break down, especially if the pile is really "hot."

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a fancy stainless steel one on my kitchen counter. I empty it into a 5 gallon paint bucket that is nailed 5 ft up an oak tree, and then every couple of weeks take it and the chicken poo bucket up to the compost pile which is 50 yds away, uphill.

Why do I nail it up? Cus one of the 4 dogs LOVES composting material which he then throws up all over the place. The compost pile is in a square made up of pallets, again to keep the dogs out.

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
I have a fancy stainless steel one on my kitchen counter. I empty it into a 5 gallon paint bucket that is nailed 5 ft up an oak tree, and then every couple of weeks take it and the chicken poo bucket up to the compost pile which is 50 yds away, uphill.

Why do I nail it up? Cus one of the 4 dogs LOVES composting material which he then throws up all over the place. The compost pile is in a square made up of pallets, again to keep the dogs out.
Glad you explained that one, MR, cuz my brow immediately furrowed upon reading it! :hu

My compost is outside the fence, or I'm sure my dogs would be all into it, too...;)

Latest posts