What do you use?

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We used to use a plastic coffee container, but recently upgraded to a pretzel container. Now we can see all that yucky stuff inside. :D We also bought a stainless garbage can that was damaged. It has a plastic container w/ a handle on the inside. I keep it in the garage and it mainly gets used in the winter when it is nice to empty the compost when the weather is nice.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We've had an old large ceramic dog food bowl on our counter between the sink and the stove for as long as I can remember. The dog dish has a big crack in it from about 9 years ago when our Lab was a pup and he tried to drag his dish off the porch.

We have changed our compost collection habits a bit over this past year. We now put more in it than ever before. Paper products (napkins, coffee filters w/grounds, and paper towel pieces), peanut shells, etc. Anything that has no animal fat or meat.

I have a friend who works in a little mom-n-pop restaurant out here in the boonies and she keeps all of their coffee grounds for me. Sometimes I put a full 3 gal. bucket of grounds in the compost pile every week. I really like coffee grounds for two reasons - I think they keep critters out of the compost pile and the grounds are a wonderful amendment to any garden soil. Although I do not think the grounds offer much nutritional value to the soil, it does make the soil very light and greatly reduces compaction.

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I put everything I can into my compost.

All the weeds and trimmings from the garden go straight onto the compost.

I don't put cooked food onto the compost, with cats, dogs, goats and chickens, we don't have that much waste.

The things that go into my "ice cream counter top container" are used tea bags, banana peels, egg shells, paper towels, the tubes from toilet rolls and kitchen rolls, other paper torn into small pieces.

Latest posts