What do you want to try for the next growing season?

Blueberry Acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I always like to grow at least one new flower variety every year. This year, I want some interesting sunflowers, maybe pink or chocolate colored ones (or both!)
292feef8-49a5-4b79-adc3-4eebfda3dc67.fcd8d4434f902a96da8520dbd4b50866.jpeg
OIP._mxRqM83gaWskrAo_K4tEgHaHZ

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i hope i can get a lot more early peas planted but i can never predict what is actually going to happen between the weather and whatever the critters might get into. the garden i'm working on right now would be improved a great deal if i could get an early cover crop of peas in there and then turn them under for my main bean planting. i suspect i just will not have enough time to do everything i want to get done...
A few years back I tilled under some peas that were old and dried out and then forgot about them. To my surprise I got many volunteers in that spot! It's a good thing I didn't try planting anything in their place!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
A few years back I tilled under some peas that were old and dried out and then forgot about them. To my surprise I got many volunteers in that spot! It's a good thing I didn't try planting anything in their place!

i have an onion garden where i buried some pea debris a while ago, all sprouted and growing up until these hard freezes have started to knock them back.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Unrelated to what I want in 2024, well, maybe ... but, someone who is more knowledgeable would have to make the case for it.

Winter cover crop: To an extent, I don't pay much attention to hardiness zones. Perennials? I'm mostly an annual gardener. Maybe I should plant Winter wheat – there's some of that, around here. I've grown Winter rye. A very nice cover crop but to have that level of growth required sowing at the end of July. Wheat may require the same planting date — too early!

Austrian peas were tried several times. Hardiness zone is listed for them as zone 6. Our Winters are still classified as 5 and nearly all those peas died. The few remaining might have staged a comeback but they were really few and beaten by the cold weather.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I had what a thought was a Few dried out stalks of turnip seeds. Turned out there were a LOT more. They overtook two growing areas, although planting was late and I got some harvest. They have become a great cover crop and I HIGHLY recommend them As a cover crop. They shaded out weeds, are easy peasy to grow, although I think they are turnip greens, instead of turnips. They haven't really died back, even though we've had nights in the 20's.

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I always like to grow at least one new flower variety every year. This year, I want some interesting sunflowers, maybe pink or chocolate colored ones (or both!)
292feef8-49a5-4b79-adc3-4eebfda3dc67.fcd8d4434f902a96da8520dbd4b50866.jpeg
OIP._mxRqM83gaWskrAo_K4tEgHaHZ
I grew one variety 'Astra Rose' this year, and they look elegant and fit in the garden well.

(photo credit: internet)
Sonnenblume-Astra-Rose-2.jpg

Sonnenblume-Astra-Rose-19.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I plan to have a sunflower patch next year, and here are the 7 varieties I want. One of them is perennial 'Early Bird', and the others are either Procut (pollenless) or smaller-flower types. The giant sunflowers look also great, but they are not very suitable for my needs.
14293.jpg