what do you wish, in your wildest dreams, you could grow?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, like, I don't mean 'that's actually possible', I really mean 'wildest dreams'. (Can you tell that I am still far, FAR from being able to do any outdoor gardening? We are having a bit of a thaw but it will be a month before I see crocus foliage and 8-10 weeks before *any* hope of putting even the very earliest coddled-and-pushed-and-protected plants out in the soil. I am desperate :p)

I would like to be able to grow big ol' southern style magnolias, and peaches, and tree ferns.

What about you?

Pat

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What fun! It's starting to seem like a pipe dream that I will ever be able to grow blueberries...

I would love to grow cacao! Then, I could be incredibly self sufficient for even chocolate. And, how about tea? I mean the real stuff. And...how about mangoes and avocadoes? Then I could be a complete locavore :)

ETA: Pat, are you sure you can't do peaches? I thought you were zone 4 (by USA standards). We grow peaches here in zone 4. First year had 3, second year over 100.

me&thegals--trying to help realize some dreams :)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
me&thegals - what kind do you have? and when is your average last frost (on your property, I mean, not just for your area in general?)

I know that I've read that Reliance and a couple others might be borderline hardy here but our average last frost is the first week of June and I honestly don't see how we could get any actual *peaches* out of even a hardy variety...?

My m-i-l down by the lakeshore has a couple peachtrees that produce about 2-3 years out of 3-4. (Other than the fact that they're near dead of old age and horizontality). But she is a zone and a half or two zones warmer than us.

Mangoes would be good... oh, hey, what about guavas too? <drool>

Pat

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh boy--my memory is awful. I know we have Reliance, maybe Elberta (zone 5 for that one) and Contender. We are south-facing slope here, but sometimes that actually hurts us for blooms coming sooner and then frosted. Last frost date approximately May 12.

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hmmm. Blueberries. I've put some in and we'll see how they do.

Sunflowers and corn. I just don't have enough sunshine.

Inchy

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Anything prehistoric, I'd like to be overwhelmed by really large plants that I could spend the rest of my life identifying.

Oranges and grapefruits. I know estates around here used to Orangeries but the heat bill would be astronomical these days.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Last frost date approximately May 12.
Well there ya go then. That's why peaches work for you. I can't see them waiting til well into June to flower for me :p

With hopes raised only to be dashed again <vbg>,

Pat

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well nuts for you! Now I know somebody who has to wait even longer than I!