What Does it Take

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It used to be when the house temp got below 55 degrees. But with the baby only 14 months old it gets into the low 60's in her room (baby monitor displays the temp which is really nice) I turn it on. She is too young for blankets and you can only bundle so much before they can't sleep.

But our thermostats set for 67 in the day & 60 in the late afternoon till morning. But we're on propane so we manage it carefully.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are a couple of old wimps around here. Probably anything below 68 would have me shivering by the oven door. Fortunately our house is well insulated, so it can get pretty cold outside before we notice it inside.
I have a low tolerance for temperature change indoors. 1 or 2 degrees one way or the other and I am miserable. Outside, not so much.
I love the first time the furnace is turned on in the fall. That smell---of burning dust, I guess---takes me instantly back to when I was 8 years old and we had a floor furnace. Standing on the grate (with house shoes on, of course) and feeling that warm air blow up your jammie legs. Ahh!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Currently, we are between grass & hay, NyBoy :).

This afternoon it's 84°f and supposed to go higher. Friday morning, it was 39° (& frost at one garden :\). Thursday, nearly as cold and the furnace came on that morning. Honestly, I didn't touch it! We had left it at the overnight temp of 62° back in June.

It was on again Friday morning ... I think it will be about another week before it comes on again by itself. If we are still under 1 thin sheet and the bed spread - it will be welcome to do so :).

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Exactly what Steve said! We must have left the thermostat on. So when the hose cooled below 60 it turned on. Guess it was 34 outside! We have it set for 68 when we are home and 60 overnight. Yeah it has to be pretty cold out for me to run it and the same for the airconditioning. Have to get miserable and unable to sleep before I turn it on and the utility bills up!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We turn on the heat when it is cold in the house, 60 degrees is good. We like to wear sweats and cozy under a blanket. I love to snuggle under covers and sleep COLD. Having my mom here the last few winters was miserable, not to mention the high gas/electric bills. She wanted it at 82, but she didn't get it.....more like 78, which we were miserable at.....but ya' live that long, somebody's got to make concessions.

I have lived in drafty old houses with a gas space heater that was turned off at night, then lit back up the next morning. A few times a wood heater was the only heat, I learned how to start a good fire! But I have to say, it sure is easy to go turn that dial on the wall!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know what it took this year. Our furnace died in April. I called the repair man and told him to stop over any time he had a break in his work load. I called again in July when we had a tenant furnace that needed work and reminded him to stop by soon. I called again (DH would call it nagging) last Thursday when the outside temp dropped below 40°(F) and he came over Friday morning. I had to turn the furnace up to test it. Left it at 68. Now that the temps are going back up . . . and we need a new furnace, I have it turned back off.

I managed to get through the summer without running the AC, but I doubt I could do as well without a furnace.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now that we are heating with wood again ( yaa! I love a fire! ) it's pretty much when I feel chilly enough to get a fire started. A week (or two?) ago when it rained all Wednesday and was cool enough in the house to be slightly less than comfortable I built a little fire to cheer me up. Oh, and to get warm too of course! Probably the first September fire ever for us. A guilty pleasure, but I loved it.

Back when the heat source was propane we waited until it was really uncomfortable before we turned it on. Usually late October, unless it snowed first.

The house does get cold overnight because our woodstove has a small firebox and won't hold a fire overnight. So dh sets the electric
wall heater to 55 before bed....(and I nudge it to 58 or 60 if it's going to be a cold one. But shhhhh! )

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Husband wants it at 75F all year round.
I want windows open nearly all year long, as long as it's not freezing or 85+ and high humidity.
=/

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Like Secuono, I keep the bedroom windows open almost year round... well, open just a little bit. I'm happy to pile on the sweats and snuggley socks and I keep afgans and quilts tossed over the back of the sofa and chairs. My roommate whines all winter about the house being cold... and walks around with bare feet in shorts and tees. I figure that she'll either freeze or realize that it's ok to wear a sweater in the house sometimes... LOL
My clue that it's getting too cold at night is when the dogs abandon their beds under the window in favor of cramming themselves under the bed... time to close that window I guess.
It's always tickled me that people will put on a jacket when it's 65 in the summer and walk around in shirt sleeves when it's 65 in the winter..... ???

Latest posts