What does one do with a "cast iron skillet"?

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I do use mine on a glass cooktop with no problems.

I might throw this piece of advice out there too - i read recently that you should warm them up slowly, so they dont warp. I have never paid attention to this, but now i just turn the dial to 3 (low-ish) for a minute or two before i crank it up to high. It seems a little unrealistic that cast iron would warp, but, maybe?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
As far as cleaning goes, I often empty the pan, add water and put it back on the stove. Residual heat will help the water loosen up anything that might be stuck and it is easy to rinse and wipe dry with the last of the dishes. Just water -- no soap, dry, and a swipe with a light oil if needed and it's ready for use.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I might throw this piece of advice out there too - i read recently that you should warm them up slowly, so they don't warp. ... It seems a little unrealistic that cast iron would warp, but, maybe?

Doesn't seem likely they would warp. The cowboys threw them right on the campfire. Perhaps the newer, lighter, Chinese-types might have a problem, not the real stuff.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use mine on a glass cooktop too. The bottom is really smooth on mine, so I've had no problem with scratches.

I wouldn't think they'd warp, not under regular usage anyway. I've thrown mine in a pile of coals in the fireplace to clean it (strip it down for reseasoning) and I've heard it said that that can crack them, but I've done it a couple times and had no trouble. Maybe the newer ones or the ones made in China might crack, I dunno. Mine are older, Wagner.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
So I've had this cast-iron skillet for a month now, and I have to ask...why did everyone switch to teflon? I always thought it was because they were non-stick, but my skillet never has anything stuck to it. Plus it cooks better.

My only complaint is that I've never had any pot or pan of any sort that had a handle which heated up same as the bottom. YOUCH!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have no Teflon in my house. It is a toxic substance that I don't want in my food. Stainless steel or cast iron all the way! I am glad you are enjoying your iron skillet! Just grab a pot older when you move the skillet.

Latest posts