What have you canned or preserved today?

diggerthechickenman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks guys and gals, and yes she is doing a good job . We by far aren't getting rich but it at least pays for the spices and the vinegar and jars . It is a good feeling after you grow it , pick it , and then process it , and even make a few bucks off it in the end. I myself am not a huge fan of pickels, but she has tweeked a few recipes, and I can honestly say she does make some pretty good pickels. My buddies are the real critics and they all gave her high marks, so that really made her head swell, she is a pro now, if you ask her. ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
SuperChemicalGirl said:
Did my first canning today! Helped someone do some dilly beans, then did my own blueberry jam when I got home. Pretty nervous about the jam, it's still really liquidy even though I followed the recipe to a T. If it doesn't set I'll just tell everyone I was making ice cream topper instead of jam.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/6992_jam.jpg
I have a fix for the jam if it doesn't set... I think I posted a link a couple pages back to the recipe on my blog page in case you need it. :)

I'm off to peel 20 lbs of tomatoes to make a batch of my balsamic tomato sauce recipe. The only sauce my daughter will eat she's so picky. So I better stock up in the pantry of she'll be refusing to eat pasta all winter!!! :rolleyes:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good for you!!!!!! :weee :thumbsup Keep up the good work!!!!!!!

SuperChemicalGirl said:
Did my first canning today! Helped someone do some dilly beans, then did my own blueberry jam when I got home. Pretty nervous about the jam, it's still really liquidy even though I followed the recipe to a T. If it doesn't set I'll just tell everyone I was making ice cream topper instead of jam.

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
vfem said:
SuperChemicalGirl said:

I have a fix for the jam if it doesn't set... I think I posted a link a couple pages back to the recipe on my blog page in case you need it. :)

I'm off to peel 20 lbs of tomatoes to make a batch of my balsamic tomato sauce recipe. The only sauce my daughter will eat she's so picky. So I better stock up in the pantry of she'll be refusing to eat pasta all winter!!! :rolleyes:
I found your blog page, thank you. It did actually set last night. The one jar I was monitoring was a bit more runny than the others, no idea why. We're eating that one, now. It's seriously delicious.

I made another batch today, only took me 90 minutes this time!

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I canned another 6 quarts of "Italian" tomato sauce last night. I've always just canned tomatoes and never canned sauce. I'm surprised at how it turns out. I blanch and peel the tomatoes and cut the tomatoes up and put on to boil. In the blender I put the peels, one large onion, 2 or 3 bell peppers, fresh oregano, fresh basil, fresh parsley and puree. Add to tomato and cook until reduced, I also ran my immersion blender to make it smooth. Salt and pepper to taste and jar it up and water bath it for 20 minutes. Yummy, the fresh herbs, which you only need a little, makes a HUGE difference in the taste. It tastes like sunshine in a jar, mmmmmm.

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
hangin'witthepeeps said:
I canned another 6 quarts of "Italian" tomato sauce last night. I've always just canned tomatoes and never canned sauce. I'm surprised at how it turns out. I blanch and peel the tomatoes and cut the tomatoes up and put on to boil. In the blender I put the peels, one large onion, 2 or 3 bell peppers, fresh oregano, fresh basil, fresh parsley and puree. Add to tomato and cook until reduced, I also ran my immersion blender to make it smooth. Salt and pepper to taste and jar it up and water bath it for 20 minutes. Yummy, the fresh herbs, which you only need a little, makes a HUGE difference in the taste. It tastes like sunshine in a jar, mmmmmm.
Can I get some more information on this? How many tomatoes? What size jars? How many does it make?

Would love to make this, thanks!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hangin', my fingers are literally raisins right now. I need some MAD lotion for my hands tonight after blanching and peeling all those tomatoes. I was thinking I would MAYBE can all the tomato juice I got from seeding and peeling them. I finally ran out of patience and just dumped it all down the drain. But I have a 12 quart pot almost full (which will probably reduce by 1/2 by the time its done).

I did load it up with fresh herbs from the garden though; oregano, basil and parsley. Then my poor husband had to go outside with me, and we fill ANOTHER 5 gallon bucket with tomatoes.

I'm going to can more salsa tomorrow.... I'm not bothering to peel the tomatoes for that anymore. My poor fingers need a break! Hahahaha

:lol:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vfem, I never peel my tomatoes when I make salsa and can it. I just roast my tomatoes and jalapenos and place the garlic on the edges of my roasting griddle pan so they won't burn. After they are nice and chard, I just puree in the blender. Add salt and water bath. When I open up a jar, I add the chopped cilantro to it. I used to add the cilantro when I canned them but find I like the fresh cilantro better.

Mary

Latest posts