What have you canned or preserved today?

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
vfem said:
I can give you my recipe, I've been making (waterbath canned):

(HOT) Salsa - Omit hot peppers if you want mild:

About 8 lbs of tomatoes (8-10 cups chopped)
1 Large onion chopped
4 bell peppers chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped (or cilantro which I hate)
2-4 Jalopenos w/ seeds finally chopped
4 Cloves of garlic minced
3 Tbsp Canning salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1 Cup of distilled vinegar

Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce heat to med-low for 15-20 minutes.

Put into sterilized jars and waterbath can for 15 minutes to seal (20 for quart size)
Awesome! Thank you. Is this for pint?

Dascountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I copied the salsa recipe also, but mine will be mild :) thanks for sharing SCG

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
Comments like this

It is quite a beautiful color and I can only imagine the Native Americans using these black currents to dye fabric and the likes.
require pictures to back up such claims :p
Here you go Jared! I can only tell you, the camera does not capture the true beauty of the color. So you will have to take my word for it. But look at the richness of the color itself - so deep! After adding the juice to the berries and then sugar, step 2 is done and it was getting more tasty. Tonight hopefully will be the final step and will have some nice jars of Black Current Jam. :D

Thanks petey...I will give that a shot if it stains the bowl like I think it may.

8199_black_current_juice_cup.jpg

8199_black_current_juice.jpg

diggerthechickenman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
7 more quarts of pickels, that makes 42 so far. this year i had a great crop of cukes. my GF has been selling the pickesl for $6.00 a piece. even made our own labels for the jars.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
diggerthechickenman said:
7 more quarts of pickels, that makes 42 so far. this year i had a great crop of cukes. my GF has been selling the pickesl for $6.00 a piece. even made our own labels for the jars.
Great job digger! And that is quite a little sales lady you have there! I'd say she found a niche market. :thumbsup

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
SCG, yes... that is for pints, but you have to process for 20 minutes if you make quarts. Either or! :D

Digger, I've made like 3 pints of quick pickles/ refrigerator pickles because mine are BARELY producing this year. Bummer! Glad to see someone is stocking them up. I so love pickles!!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stubbornhill, that berry juice is beautiful! I made juice from blackberries and it looked gorgeous too. Saturday is our first day to pick blueberries- so hoping for lots of jam, and pie filling.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can't wait until my currant bushes have fruit so I can make syrup! oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I canned 5 pints of strawberry-fig preserves. Then I gave a pint and a dozen eggs to my DH's co-worker for fixing the tail light on my Mother's car. :)

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Did my first canning today! Helped someone do some dilly beans, then did my own blueberry jam when I got home. Pretty nervous about the jam, it's still really liquidy even though I followed the recipe to a T. If it doesn't set I'll just tell everyone I was making ice cream topper instead of jam.

6992_jam.jpg

Latest posts