What have you canned or preserved today?

brad

Leafing Out
Reaction score
so lucky said:
brad, do you remember how many ounces you planted? I used to plant Jade and had great luck with them most of the time. Now I can't do the stooping required to pick bush beans, not for that long at a time. I'm glad for your fantastic harvest!:woot
I don't remember exactly but I'm fairly certain it was close to 2 lbs of seed.

brad

Leafing Out
Reaction score
vfem said:
brad said:
98 quarts of green beans (Jade) canned so far this year :tools
:th
Well in the interest of full disclosure, *we've* only canned 62 jars of the current bean tally (110 total now after last night's 12). We invited another family to garden with us, and we split everything, so they've canned the rest. Before the season is over though I expect we'll each exceed 100. Last year we only canned 44 jars each (88 total between the two families), so we're loving the bounty this year!

Dascountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Processed some green beans and pickled beets. Also some summer squash. Anyone ever canned summer squash before? I'm hopeing it'll be better then freezing it.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I read some of the stuff yall are doing and I feel like a lazy slug!!! this is my first year and my garden is going crazy! I processed and froze 3 gallons of Blueberries! picked them today before 9, weeded and tried to make blueberry pancakes for dinner the center did not cook! I tried several ways so if you have a hint please let me know
Thanks

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
brad said:
so lucky said:
brad, do you remember how many ounces you planted? I used to plant Jade and had great luck with them most of the time. Now I can't do the stooping required to pick bush beans, not for that long at a time. I'm glad for your fantastic harvest!:woot
I don't remember exactly but I'm fairly certain it was close to 2 lbs of seed.
I bet you'll get a lot more yet!!

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm going to someone's house tomorrow to learn how to can (never did it before and I'd rather see it done once before I attempt it... see one, do one, teach one, right?) and then I have a date with some blueberries I picked this morning for some spiced blueberry jam. I'm terribly excited.

I'm no where near as prolific as you guys, but the recipe says it makes eight 8 oz jars. :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got a huge pot of salsa on the stove.... I'm thinking it should make somewhere around 6-8 pints from eye balling it. Then I have to do a second batch. I always end up having to split it up so I have some mild on hand, and the HOT stuff for me!!! :D

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
vfem said:
I got a huge pot of salsa on the stove.... I'm thinking it should make somewhere around 6-8 pints from eye balling it. Then I have to do a second batch. I always end up having to split it up so I have some mild on hand, and the HOT stuff for me!!! :D
Where did you get the salsa recipe(s)? Are they hot water bath or pressure? I'd love to do some salsa!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can give you my recipe, I've been making (waterbath canned):

(HOT) Salsa - Omit hot peppers if you want mild:

About 8 lbs of tomatoes (8-10 cups chopped)
1 Large onion chopped
4 bell peppers chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped (or cilantro which I hate)
2-4 Jalopenos w/ seeds finally chopped
4 Cloves of garlic minced
3 Tbsp Canning salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1 Cup of distilled vinegar

Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce heat to med-low for 15-20 minutes.

Put into sterilized jars and waterbath can for 15 minutes to seal (20 for quart size)

Latest posts