What have you canned or preserved today?

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I froze 21 pints of corn today and Mom froze 27 quarts of green beans. That makes well over 50 of each total so we won't starve this winter if the power doesn't go off. I also added sugar to the 14 day pickles and put another quart of raspberries in the freezer. I have got to do something with all these tomatoes!!! Don't know what I want to do?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It doesn't take care if that many of them, but have you tried drying tomatoes? I use my dehydrator to dry them, but the sun would probably work too if you can get the technique right, especially if you are having the weather we are. I've never tried it using sun power. Maybe need a net or screen to keep insects off?

I store my tomatoes in the freezer until I have enough to make a full canning. I'll freeze a bunch today. When I get to five or six gallons its time to decide how I want to can them, canned tomatoes, puree, or some type of sauce. That makes a full canning and I run out of freezer space about then.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I canned 7 pints of strawberry (Jello) fig preserves! And they didn't gel, they flopped. But they make the BEST most AWESOME pancake topping! We tore 'em up :lol:

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I did 7 half pints of raspberry jam and 3 pints of peach jam yesterday. Today is to put the 14 day pickles into the jars and I hope to start drying some tomatoes. Busy, busy time in the kitchen!

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I made five pints of ketchup last night and dehydrated the peels. Now what can I use to grind the paper thin crispy peel into powder? Love tomato bullion that I get at the latin food store, I put it in everything.

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
All I have is a large food processor. I wonder if I can put them in a plastic bag and crush them, they are really thin.

Latest posts