What have you canned or preserved today?

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have been drying basil for weeks. I have 3 quart jars of dried basil. I also dried onions, garlic, tarragon, summer savory, marjoram, and cherry tomatoes. I was hoping to do more pickles, but the squash bugs are really bad this year and neither my squash or my cukes are doing well.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Mama Chicken said:
I have been drying basil for weeks. I have 3 quart jars of dried basil. I also dried onions, garlic, tarragon, summer savory, marjoram, and cherry tomatoes. I was hoping to do more pickles, but the squash bugs are really bad this year and neither my squash or my cukes are doing well.
I have a lovely crop of basil this year. How do you dry it? in the dehydrator and do you use the solid plastic disc or the tray with slots in it?

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I finally finished the blueberries and apricots today. I ended up with 9 quarts of apricots and 13 half pints of apricot freezer jam. 5 pints of blueberry pie filling, 3 pints of blueberry syrup, and 11 one cup packages of blueberries in the freezer.

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I can only dream I grew all that fruit. I do have some blueberry bushes, but they aren't producing yet. They only "fruit tree" I have is a crab apple which I save for the robins to enjoy in the spring. A couple of grocery stores put the apricots and the blueberries on sale. It is still too early for fruit at Colorado Farmers Markets.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mama, I need to start drying more stuff!!! :D

I did manage to get a bunch of peach sauce jarred... and I picked 14 lbs of blackberries to can today. Just haven't had time to jam them yet. BUT I WILL SO HELP ME! hahaha

These temps like today of 106, I just can't bring myself to turn on the oven to do it. :/

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't believe you were out picking blackberries in 106 degree sun. Unless maybe you got out at dawn? That's what I'm having to do for garden/lawn work now.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hahahaa.... my booty was up and out of this house at 6:30am. But 9am I was inside the house in the AC for the rest of the day!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took 5 gallons of blackberries out of the freezer yesterday to make room for the tomatoes. I freeze tomatoes until I have enough for a big canning.

But I screwed up on the blackberries. I wanted to can the juice to make jelly later, but instead of following the instructions and boiling them, mashing them, and hanging them in linen or cheesecloth, I ran them through the Squeezo strainer after boiling them. I thought that would make the juice come out faster. Boy was I wrong.

The seeds came out in the Squeezo like they were supposed to and the pulp that came out was really dry. I hung the remaining stuff in linen and set up some cheesecloth and a collander for some more, but after 8 hours, I only had about a quart of liquid. That stuff was like a paste and would not release the liquid.

I finally gave up and canned the stuff. It made six quarts. I'll use it later to make seedless blackberry jam.

Latest posts