What have you canned or preserved today?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
I took 5 gallons of blackberries out of the freezer yesterday to make room for the tomatoes. I freeze tomatoes until I have enough for a big canning.

But I screwed up on the blackberries. I wanted to can the juice to make jelly later, but instead of following the instructions and boiling them, mashing them, and hanging them in linen or cheesecloth, I ran them through the Squeezo strainer after boiling them. I thought that would make the juice come out faster. Boy was I wrong.

The seeds came out in the Squeezo like they were supposed to and the pulp that came out was really dry. I hung the remaining stuff in linen and set up some cheesecloth and a collander for some more, but after 8 hours, I only had about a quart of liquid. That stuff was like a paste and would not release the liquid.

I finally gave up and canned the stuff. It made six quarts. I'll use it later to make seedless blackberry jam.
Oh that is a bummer. I usually run mine through the food processer and the pour in through some muslin cloth in my strainer. I keep thinking I'd get a food mill to do it, but I'm not sure if that would work with those seeds or not? I was told it would work with the paste tomatoes to narrow down the work, but I want to make sure before I invest in a mill yet. Those things aren't cheap... the one's that don't cost as much are so cheap I would break them and over use them before fall came!

:rolleyes:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Done with the blackberries!!!!

5842_img00575.jpg

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I made some blueberry sauce to put over ice cream and cream puffs...I also made some Dulce De Leche with goatsmilk. I'm planning to can some meat meals later this week for when I feel crummy and don't want to cook. None of my veggies are gonna be ready til probably august here...except the peas, and I freeze them. Love the pic vfem! I like those canisters too!

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No veggies here for awhile, so I canned up some meat for beef dip sandwiches and some spicy shredded meat for taco salads and burritoes. Love my canner!

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I did 7 raspberry jams yesterday and I am in the 9th day of 14 day pickles. Mom did 45 pkg. green beans and 33 corn.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've got a few more days before Ill have enough pickling cukes to have enough to make a batch. I've got some on the counter the rest need a couple more days on the vine. I'm hoping for Monday. I'm chomping at the bit to go get blackberries and raspberries here.

Latest posts