What have you canned or preserved today?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I brought in a ton of green bell peppers this week. I managed to slice up about 3/4 of them into long strips and I placed them out on a sheet pan and put them in the freezer. I then bagged them and got a gallon bag's worth in the freezer for the winter. I have a hand full of fresh ones left in the fridge and I still have some out that don't appear to be affected by the several nights of frost we've had.

I don't really have anything much left to can? I guess things are coming to an end already!? :(

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I cleaned out the freezers and found a bunch of tomatoes that I'd frozen this summer. So I'm canning 6 quarts of bloody Mary mix and 4 pts of sauce. I also found a bunch of blackberries & srawberries, so I guess more jam is in order.

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Whipped up some Manwich clone today and have 15 pints in the canner...should keep us all winter and then some.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I canned up more potatoes and am planning to execute a couple of 'alarm clocks' out in the chicken pen and can those as well.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I roasted a gigantic Rumbo squash today. I love it-it is so sweet. I bagged up the rest into 2+ cup zipper bags to use all winter. It makes a better pie than pumpkin, is delicious as a side dish, and can be used in soup, bread, etc. I also grew a few argonaut winter squash which are also gigantic! There is very little difference in the flavor of the two yet they look so different. The argonaut are not as prolific a grower.

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
SGC, we like the Manwich sauce but it's pretty pricey, so I found a recipe that's very similar...a "clone" or taste-alike. Haven't used it yet, but after mixing it sure tasted very close.

Cat, I've never heard of those kinds of squash before. Sounds intriguing; may have to check 'em out. :)

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yesterday I canned 2 batches of "Turkey Tortilla Soup" and a batch of Ham&Potato soup. It makes my life so much easier when I have stuff I don't have to defrost that takes a minimum of prep before dinner on those really difficult days! I used the re-usable Tattler lids. I was having a lot of trouble with them until I contacted the company and they told me to only put the ring on until it BARELY catches the thread, then tighten them AFTER canning. I had 100% seals this time! I love not having to throw lids away or drive 4 hours to get more if I run out...unless I pay shipping. :weee

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am going to have to get me some of those Tattler lids. I've been saving my used Ball lids for oven canning dry goods. At least they get a little more use that way.

Latest posts