What have you got still blooming?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We've had a rather sudden and early start to winter here - been about 6" of snow cover for the last week and it's probably here to stay, and it's already been down to -18 C (O F) several times, including once before the snow.

A month ago I had over a dozen plants still well in bloom (lucky weather up til then); now, just some johnny jump-ups and perennial candytuft pluggin' away underneath the snow. In the kitchen I still have a bunch of house-ripened tomatoes picked green before frost, but they're getting kind of funky and most are going to the chickens not the table. Sigh.

So, people in warmer zones, cheer me up -- tell me what you still have going in your gardens!

Pat

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nothing here in Indiana. The recent frosts killed it all. :(

I went through all my seeds so I can plan for spring, though!

Herechickchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My Tiffany roses are still going. They bloomed all the way thru Christmas last year, although they are looking ruff now, I need to clean them up.

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Nothing...unfortunately. :( It's going to be a long winter! In the meantime I keep myself content reading gardening catalogs over and over again until they fall apart and dreaming of chickens chickens chickens. :jumpy

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's all done here, the hard frosts have nailed everything and this weekend we're supposed to get snow. Doesn't make me unhappy, I love snow, it's a good insulator for the garden. What I don't like is New England's variable weather, cuz the snow won't last, and when we need it the most, in the deep freeze of January and February, there will be none and things will heave out of the ground. :( Oh well, that's what it's like around here, if you don't like the weather, wait a day or two! :lol:

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Gee, people, get some johnny jump-ups or hardy violas next year. How can you stand to have *nothing* blooming?!

lol,

Pat, assuming the people from warmer zones are keeping quiet for the fun of seeing us northerners whine ;)

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Gee, people, get some johnny jump-ups or hardy violas next year. How can you stand to have *nothing* blooming?!

lol,

Pat, assuming the people from warmer zones are keeping quiet for the fun of seeing us northerners whine ;)
Oh, you're right! The Johnnies are blooming out there, I forgot. I do love those guys.

Of course this isn't now, it was sometime in May this year. I pot them up and we give them away every May at our Plant Sale to all the children.

johnnies.jpg

1acrefarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My seven sister roses are in full bloom. I wish I could tell you what zone I am in but I honestly don't know. I do live in lower North Ga if that helps.

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
1acrefarm said:
My seven sister roses are in full bloom. I wish I could tell you what zone I am in but I honestly don't know. I do live in lower North Ga if that helps.
Go to the forum announcements category at the top of the index. There's a thread there that gives you a link to look up your zone. It's like the 5th thread down I think.

Latest posts