What I Learned after Quitting Tea

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
pastries of any kinds are a weakness of mine too. especially when we make them ourselves.

i'm trying really hard to be good this season and it is helping as i've been able to gradually lose some weight. what gets me badly though are those cold snaps when i want to eat pretty much everything and lots of it. winter is tough. if i hold myself steady through the winter i consider that a huge moral and self-control victory. which is celebrated by a few good cake donuts...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I once bought sweetened almond milk and it was terrible! Couldn't drink it. I have to have unsweetened original almond milk. The one that has 30 calories. ;)

Mary

i can drink it, but like soy milk i much preferred the ones that didn't have a lot of stuff added to them. eventually i was growing my own soybeans and making my own soy milk until i got tired of doing that. after growing 44lbs of soybeans one year i kept them in a pillow case as i gradually used them up and most of them i would feed to the worms by putting them at the bottom of the bucket when i would restart a bucket. they would soak up the moisture, and then ferment and eventually the worms would munch them. i tried to give them away, but nobody but me would actually want them or eat them. the health food store was selling them for $4/lb... lol

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Supposedly, oolong teas are also supposed to be good for keeping your weight down.

i've always liked oolong tea, it seems so much smoother and mellow than the green teas that became so popular. i had a large can of oolong tea that lasted me about 20yrs because i had it hidden away in a box and forgot about it. finished it off finally a few years ago. now i want some more! :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It doesn't help when with that cup of tea or coffee there has to be something sweet to go along with it. I don't mean sugar. I mean pastries! But with pastries how can you lose weight? :rolleyes:

Mary

do you like baklava? that is one pastry i really like but it is hard to eat a lot of it because it is so rich and sweet. when done well it is so good! we make things here that are good too. cream puffs i like because the pudding we put in them is not super sweet but it has some almond extract in it. i can just sit and eat that plain. simple to make too.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
do you like baklava? that is one pastry i really like but it is hard to eat a lot of it because it is so rich and sweet. when done well it is so good! we make things here that are good too. cream puffs i like because the pudding we put in them is not super sweet but it has some almond extract in it. i can just sit and eat that plain. simple to make too.
I do but can only eat a tiny piece cause it's all sugar and too sweet!

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tastes vary. Health concerns also play a role.

Ya know, I somewhat prefer black tea. However, I appreciate that tea is easier on my stomach than coffee. Green tea may be easiest of all but it just doesn't have enuf flavor ;)! Oolong is my happy compromise.

About 10 years ago, the doctor said that I had a thyroid hormone deficiency. Too much soy is supposed to be a problem for proper absorption of Levothyroxine ... if'n I understand right. Since I made regular use of soymilk and they seemed to be having problems coming up with the right dose of the Levothyroxine, I switched to almond milk.

It seems somehow ironic to me that I'm not really a fan of hazelnut flavor in my coffee and prefer soymilk to almond milk. I like both nuts!

@flowerbug , if you do a TEG search, you will find me learning how to make tofu from my Bei soybeans. I was tempted to stop in the process and drink the soymilk instead, but didn't ;). Man, tofu only amounts to something that I want to eat after being included in sauté with with onions, mushrooms and soy sauce. I can't entirely account for my taste preferences -- can anyone?!!

😊 Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tastes vary. Health concerns also play a role.

Ya know, I somewhat prefer black tea. However, I appreciate that tea is easier on my stomach than coffee. Green tea may be easiest of all but it just doesn't have enuf flavor ;)! Oolong is my happy compromise.

About 10 years ago, the doctor said that I had a thyroid hormone deficiency. Too much soy is supposed to be a problem for proper absorption of Levothyroxine ... if'n I understand right. Since I made regular use of soymilk and they seemed to be having problems coming up with the right dose of the Levothyroxine, I switched to almond milk.

It seems somehow ironic to me that I'm not really a fan of hazelnut flavor in my coffee and prefer soymilk to almond milk. I like both nuts!

@flowerbug , if you do a TEG search, you will find me learning how to make tofu from my Bei soybeans. I was tempted to stop in the process and drink the soymilk instead, but didn't ;). Man, tofu only amounts to something that I want to eat after being included in sauté with with onions, mushrooms and soy sauce. I can't entirely account for my taste preferences -- can anyone?!!

😊 Steve

i will explore this topic more later today. right now gotta get outside while i can before the forecast rains begin. hope you have a good day there. :)

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Pakhlava ~ is great ~ moma use to make it always, trays of it ~ rolled her own from dough ~ today some use Phillo ~ fillo dough you can by at the store ~ great with coffee ~ Pakhlava ~ means diamond shaped ~ that's how the trays of pakhlava are cut before final baking ```

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I've been making types of biscotti ~ sometimes with dry,dry raisins, almond slices, or anise seed ~ take them when I go to a gathering ~ they are very well received ~ I'm thinking of making them Garbia style ~ smaller not in loafs and baked only once ```

Latest posts