What I Learned after Quitting Tea

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tastes vary. Health concerns also play a role.

Ya know, I somewhat prefer black tea. However, I appreciate that tea is easier on my stomach than coffee. Green tea may be easiest of all but it just doesn't have enuf flavor ;)! Oolong is my happy compromise.

About 10 years ago, the doctor said that I had a thyroid hormone deficiency. Too much soy is supposed to be a problem for proper absorption of Levothyroxine ... if'n I understand right. Since I made regular use of soymilk and they seemed to be having problems coming up with the right dose of the Levothyroxine, I switched to almond milk.

It seems somehow ironic to me that I'm not really a fan of hazelnut flavor in my coffee and prefer soymilk to almond milk. I like both nuts!

@flowerbug , if you do a TEG search, you will find me learning how to make tofu from my Bei soybeans. I was tempted to stop in the process and drink the soymilk instead, but didn't ;). Man, tofu only amounts to something that I want to eat after being included in sauté with with onions, mushrooms and soy sauce. I can't entirely account for my taste preferences -- can anyone?!!

😊 Steve

have you ever tried any of the coffee substitutes? i find they are milder on my stomach than coffee itself is. at least so far. :)

i agree with your sense of irony there. i love either flavorings or nuts or butters made from nuts, etc.

i haven't the time at the moment to go back in time to visit that soy thread, but i will make a bookmark of this so i can come back to it. i will eat tofu plain, cold and quivering from the container. sometimes food is just fuel. :) i can eat about anything as long as i'm not reactive to it. added goodies like onions, mushrooms, gravies, etc. all bonuses! have you ever had deep fried tofu? i'm not actually much of a tofu eater at present, but i would eat it again without hesitation for the same reason i'd eat plain oatmeal again. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tofu! ... 2011 click ;)

Postum was common in our house when I was growing up. Whole grains in the Postum so Mom would allow me to have that but I don't much like it ... burnt cereal.

Roasting dandelion and chicory roots worked out well for me. I would drink them with 50% coffee added - cutting down on the caffeine.

Roasted figs (Coffig), I've used that beverage! Like it. Fig flavors go well with coffee. I do 50% with ground coffee and cannot really taste the figs. Too much of the Coffig (ridiculous name!) and it's just too sweet. Should be ordering some more of that!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, you are the one that got me interested in trying a coffee substitute. I've been drinking Pero. It's an acquired taste, but I'm starting to enjoy it with a little half'n'half. I don't dare drink coffee at night so it's a nice thing to look forward to when the weather is cold.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've just about finished the first jar of Caffix. it is acceptable to me, but perhaps you are more picky
about this than i am. :) not too expensive so worth a try.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Quite a few years ago, I grew witloof chicory.

Cut the tops of dozens of them and carried the roots down to the basement along with several buckets of sand. Never again!

I intended to "force" the roots and have winter salads. I had never eaten radicchio but had avoided endive often enough at restaurants ... Chicory needs to be cooked or I just can't eat it! I don't know what that witloof would have tasted like cooked but, happily, I later discovered escarole ;). Additional problem: that sand was heavy!

What could I do with all those roots? Turned some of them into a coffee substitute :). Not bad at all, and comparable to the commercial beverage that I have bought.

Could be fun for you chicory drinkers to grow your own (maybe not the witloof variety and forget about carrying buckets of sand!).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, I'm in trouble.

Not trouble with a "capital" tea. I'm in coffee trouble. (Tea is fine - I even had a cup of ginger tea, yesterday. Whew!)

No. I can no longer find Kava. Three years of drinking it was enuf time for 3 soopermarkets that I shop at, to eliminate it from their 30' of coffees!

I have done some searching and see that there are other reduced acid coffees, except I didn't find them on those shelves either ... Any suggestions? @so lucky ?

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have no input on reduced acid coffee but i find it funny that this evening i had some ginger tea for the first time in several years. i used to drink it all the time, basically take hot water and stir in some ground ginger and whatever else i wanted. honey, sugar, lemon, chili, etc. today i had just a bit of sugar. a lot less than i would have put in before when i was having it more often.

i wonder though, for you @digitS' if you could get away with a pinch of baking soda? i've not done that ever. no idea what it tastes like. i like tart/bitter so to me that would kinda be like putting baking soda in some vinegar water. you get some bubbles and salt water and some other strange things leftover, but not much i'd recommend doing or drinking...

and since this is a whole tangent anyways, i recall doing vinegar and baking soda to make bubbly water that i could put popcorn in that would sink to the bottom and then the bubbles would carry them to the top and then they'd drop back down. kinda like the non-electric version of the lava lamp... and faster too... :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I may be able to buy some online but I did check the website for the Kava company.

The information there said that it was available thru Smuckers. They have all sorts of coffees! Jam too, I assume. Kava page very clearly says, "out of stock." It really looks like it's discontinued. Meanwhile, DW ordered a brewed coffee, "low-acid." :)

I didn't have one cup of instant coffee in, at least, 25 years - having convinced myself that I . did . not . like . instant. I'm fairly sure that I didn't try adding it to hot, watered-down almond milk. Brewed coffee is better but I am sometimes (often) just grabbing something to have with me on a drive. Motion Motivation

digitS'
still looking for a low-acid instant on the shelves

Latest posts