What interesting creatures live in your garden?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a slow moving spider, not jumpy or aggressive, or poisonous, thank goodness!
All spiders are venomous. It is just that most spider venom isn't strong enough to bother humans. Hum-m-m-m. I think we had this conversation before... It takes eating a lot of orb spiders for a human to feel the effect of their venom and it be poisonous.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I was driving yesterday and I faced the sun as I turned a corner, so I pulled the sun visor down, not knowing there was a spider living behind it…. I found that out soon enough when the disturbed critter dropped a few inches of web and ended up dangling in front of my nose! And there it stayed. Up the web, down the web, swinging merrily from side as I'm navigating tight corners and a narrow road, unable to pull over or stop, as it was too dangerous and there was no space to do either... It ended up on my lap at some stage, before climbing up it's web again and managing to make it's way to the sun visor, which I decided was in fact better use to me tucked away ;)

ETA: when I was in my teens I got bit by a venomous spider and had a horrific time recovering. As a result of that I have a long distance love relationship with spiders. The further away from me they stay, the more I love them.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have a love relationship with spiders. I admire your coolness, Sumi.

Often, the natural world gets along with its business just fine with us as simply environmental objects, likely to be ignored.

I knew a guy once who had his garage catch on fire. He lived out in the middle of rolling hills and wheat fields. He called the fire department.

Apparently, not knowing what to do alone with the fire and unsure of the directions he gave over the phone, he drove down his driveway about 500 yards to the main road.

Approaching the intersection, he discovered a bee in his pickup cab. He promptly drove off the road into his neighbor's pond!

When the fire truck came along, he flagged it down. He said he was telling them to hurry because he was afraid the fire would spread to his house. A fireman reached over and hit him ... calmed him right down.

Steve

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Steve, trust me, I was FAR from cool yesterday!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sumi,

at the very least, neither the fire department nor a tow truck were called following the incident.

;)

Steve

casportpony

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, I have some slimmy things that people call slugs, LOTS of slugs, and MORE slugs. Anyone whant a pet slug ? S car go ? ;)

Latest posts