What interesting creatures live in your garden?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'd love to see an albino frog.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Was a big disappointment to read its not rare. I have a large wetlands and pond 1st one I ever found. My guess is they are not rare but rare to have one survive, white color made him easy to spot.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Was a big disappointment to read its not rare. I have a large wetlands and pond 1st one I ever found. My guess is they are not rare but rare to have one survive, white color made him easy to spot.
It was rare that you saw it. How many of your friends can say they've seen one? I've never had, so it's rare to me.

Mary

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just got back from Rosedale and for the second year running was surprised to bump into a shore bird in the trees in the back (it ran too fast to get a picture or identify definitively but it looked like it might be some sort of plover) Why they show up there, I have no clue I mean, there IS the stream nearby, but there are streams all through the area, and I don't see shore birds there (I sometimes see snipes in Manhattan [usually after they have crashed into a building] but Manhattan is on the shore.)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm not, but the Hudson is freshwater (at least, it is up here, I know it gets sort of brackish the farther down you go*) If it was attracting birds that normally would be on Long Island Sound, we'd see them ALL THE TIME, and as far as I can tell, we don't. And while we aren't TOO far from the Sound laterally (the other side of the county is on it after all, like Mamaroneck) the same things applies; if they were flying in regularly, we'd see them regularly. Maybe the soil around Rosedale is really really salty.

*Though it may be a little brackish up here too. If it wasn't, the mussels and crabs couldn't survive this far up. But that may not be enough.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I didn't buy much of anything, the trip was really more for mom to pick up some stuff to fill in HER part of the garden. I think my total contributions to the total pile consisted of one ice plant a packet of Glass Gem corn (for reference to see how the stuff I pick up at the farmers markets I THINK is Glass Gem corn compares to stuff that is actually CERTIFIED so (and to try and solve the mystery of the mini GG) 40 peat pellets (I'm running low) and a plastic flat to keep the pellets in.

That being said I will probably pop back there over the weekend when Dad is home as there are some STUNNING rhododendrons I saw, and we are in need of some shrubs.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found another dead salamander in the grass yesterday. Just lying on the grass. This is about the third one I have found this way, although several live in my garden.
I suspect the dead ones might have been caught by a bird, then dropped when the bird realized how bad it tastes. Because they are not in a salamander-friendly area.
I once got hit on the head by a little mussel shell, dropped by a passing bird. :rolleyes:

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have slugs also they are horrible... the old house in Shelton was a snail
mecca I was petrified on bringing them here

Latest posts