What interesting creatures live in your garden?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Holy Belgium, those are big! I'd assume those are grubs of one of the large Rhinoceros or Stag beetles. I'd say Goliath Beetle, but I'm not sure those live as far South as SA. Plus I imagine the larva of a beetle that can get to be a foot long is even BIGGER than these!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rhinoceros beetles are in the good bug category. I unearthed some of those monster grubs, thinking they were giant June bug grubs, I gave them to the chickens. :he Only later did I find out that I destroyed beneficial insects. Now I carefully relocate them to safer places out of mine and the hens reach.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year, toads. So glad to see them. While weeding corn, found a huge one taking shade under weeds. Hated to disturb him but weeds thicker and taller than sweet corn. He can hide under straw and weed mulch now

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Again, not right in the garden, but yesterday I spotted a quail beside the road about 1/4 mile from here. I haven't seen any of them around here for decades. Also in short supply are pheasant. We used to see many of them in the course of a year. Last year I saw one and none so far this year. Either coyotes have decimated their numbers, or the wild turkeys are kicking them out of their habitat.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I spotted my first garden creature today, exactly a week after we moved back here. A big, fat mouse was collecting thyme leaves and disappearing into the tall grass with it, where I'm assuming it has a cozy nest. It is freezing cold here at the moment, with wet weather predicted :\ Small wonder activity in the garden is slow.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Daytime highs of 50*F and nighttime lows of 32*F. I know, I know, I'm a wimp :D But we have no heating in the flat. We foolishly sold our two little wood burning stoves before we moved, not thinking we'll be staying here again during winter.

Latest posts