What is on the list for spring?

tentreeacres

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
it sounds expensive, but I was planning on starting out small. I love to plant flowering plants too, last year I bought some seeds for the kids (as a learning project) and everything grew beautifully and lasted until winter. That's what got me really interested in having a REAL garden! The truth is I can't wait though, even if it's just an herb garden and a few morning glories and the like! I will check out the link too, thanks!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Finally got the tax return and put in my order. Ordered twice as many berries this year, on account of I can't guarantee that DH won't mow them. The dog should be able to keep the walking venison under control, though.

I should have told Nourse to send me five of everything. I wasn't thinking, I guess.

In addition to the usual garden annuals:

250 strawberry plants: 200 spread evenly throughout the season, plus 50 everbearing. This week, DH bought himself some out-of-season strawberries from California from Whole Foods, and exclaimed, "What is this, a desert strawberry?" Apparently it was bone-dry and tasted like slightly sour cardboard. "I miss our garden strawberries that you had in the backyard." Well, you know what to do about that... I own a gardening book that says 25 plants/person in the household is plenty. Don't know what kind of household they have, or what kind of strawberries, but when I made the mistake of buying only 50 plants, we had just about enough for cereal in the summer. This year, we are going to have enough for cereal, shortcake and jam. I am determined.

6 blueberries, spread throughout the season. We have two blueberries that survived DH's mowing, but they are next to a birdhouse in which bluebirds nest each spring, so I don't count on getting many.

2 elderberries, last two I got were spindly and didn't take.

4 gooseberries, 2 green 2 red.

35 raspberries. 10 red summer, 5 red everbearing, 10 black summer, 5 purple, 5 yellow. Don't know that I will have enough of these, we also have orioles in the orchard. Maybe the chickens will keep the orioles off? I can hope?

Still haven't found a good source for wine grapes. Raintree nursery sells the kind I want, but they get mixed reviews, about 1/4 of their customers seem unhappy from year to year.

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Finally got the tax return and put in my order.
We got nearly $6k back... and turned around and paid our property taxes with it! :barnie

I'm doing just about anything I can get my hands on and don't kill. :cool:
My neighbor just cut down a fence and I'm using the posts to build up my raised beds. I have to dump some more top soil in there then I'm good to go!

citygirlinthecountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm planting mostly odd things this year.

Tomatoes- Tommy Toes and Mr. Stripey (only odd because I don't eat tomatoes. I just really like watching them grow and how they smell hot on the vine. Weird, I know.)

Strawberries- okay... not odd either. I'm on year two of bare root plants. Hopefully I'll get tons this year!

Onions- not so odd, but I'm going to try them from seed this year and will probably spread them throughout the flower beds instead of the veggie garden.
Rainbow Chard- same as onions. I'm planting them with the flowers since they are so pretty!

Red cucumbers
Mini watermelons (fist sized)
Purple hull string beans (They turn green when cooked)
Strawberry popcorn (ears are red and shaped like fist sized strawberries)
Loofah gourds

That's as far as I've gotten so far. I did a test run by the co-op the other day to see what they had out already. I'm soooo ready for spring. It's all I can do to not go ahead and start the seeds in my mudroom. I just keep repeating "still too early, still too early".

CG

hcammack2

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We will be growing:
Tomatoes (heritage, Beefstake, cherry, and Grape), Zuchini, pumpkins, squash, chard, beans, peas, lemon cucumbers ( a great heritage veriaty), blueberries, Rasberries, Strawberries, Sunflowers, radishes, lettucce, carrots, kale, peppers (hot & sweet) and a bunch of diffrent herbs.

Happy Gardening
Henry

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
citygirlinthecountry said:
I'm planting mostly odd things this year.

Tomatoes- Tommy Toes and Mr. Stripey (only odd because I don't eat tomatoes. I just really like watching them grow and how they smell hot on the vine. Weird, I know.)
I don't think so.. I'm the same way! :lol: I actually just planted a Mr. Stripey just because of the way it looks. Chances are, I won't like it!

citygirlinthecountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My Mr Stripey grew like crazy at the end of last summer. It was a great tomato plant. I just don't like to eat tomatoes. I gave them all away. I consider it to be a form of community service. :p Everybody else likes to eat them and I love to grow them. They just smell right for summer (kind of like how petunias smell right for summer). Last summer they all went to a coworker who was enduring chemo. He could eat them and they tasted right. He didn't really want much of anything else.
I just like to grow tomatoes! And Mr Stripey is pretty cool looking.

born2late

Leafing Out
Reaction score
This year I plan to put in bush green beans (I did not like the pole beans), white scallop squash,yellow squash, cherry tomatoes for snacking, pickling cucumbers, tomatoes to eat and can (I am not sure which just yet), silver queen corn, butter beans, green bell peppers and what ever else strikes my fancy. If anyone knows the variety of tomatoes that is determinate and good for canning please let me know.
I seem to have trouble getting my bell peppers to grow large. They seem to stay runted. They also don't really produce until most of the summer is gone.
I would love to plant some garden peas before it gets too hot. I may not get to those this year. We are busy getting the chicken coop and run going.
I always want to plant way more than I can handle. My heart wants a huge garden with a wide variety of veggies but my physical limitations keep it smaller. "Sigh :/ " Diana in NC

Latest posts