What is on the list for spring?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Diana, you may want to use last year's bean trellises for this year's peas. That seems to be the only difficult part of pea growing. I grow snap, snow, and shell peas every year and don't like to plant 'em in the mud . . . so they go out rather late.

You may not be able to have peppers earlier than late Summer. I depends on your area's growing conditions. I certainly haven't given up on bells but find that growing Italian sweet peppers is easier. Their flavor is preferable to me as well :).

Can't help you with canning . . .

Steve

Ang.

Sprout
Reaction score
Our list is so long this year! We are trying to be self-sufficient at least with our veggies year round this year. So here is the list:

tomatoes (beefsteak, amish paste, brandywine, yellow brandywine and a few more TBA), potatoes (red and gold), yellow onions, green beans, pickling cucumbers, slicing cucumbers, spinach, radishes, watermelon, zucchini, acorn and butternut squash, beets, popcorn, muskmelon, pumpkins, leaf lettuce and green peppers.

We also have to revamp the strawberry beds. I want to put in raspberries and asparagus and a few more rhubarb plants. I think I might be really busy this summer.

LavenderGirl

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I planted Lavender last fall. About 6 varieties..I can't remember which varieties so I'm sure it will be fun to see what grows. One is Lavandula Angustifolia which is white tinged pink flowers that should flower in August or September which I hear is good in flower arrangements. Another project I plan to investigate. I also have some Golden Crinkled Oregano and Lemon Thyme as well as some Viola's for accents in my little herb garden.

I am also trying to figure out where to plant my zuchinni plants. I just planted them in a pot via seeds. So I'm waiting for them to pop up in a week or so.

I also have two escadrill (sp) apple trees and one weeping cherry, one weeping pussy willow and one weeping golden chain tree. So we will see what blossoms soon. The buds are really starting to get big now. Winter has been too long and too cold this year and I need some flowers and color to cheer me up.
:)

adoptedbyachicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Everything.....

Seriously, we have been on this property for almost 3 years now, but the first one camping while the house was built. Anyway everything it seems has taken priority over gardening. Having now acheived self sufficency in meat production and enhoying our first winter totally living off our own (except for some traded with neighbors for type we don't produce giving them some we do) we are drooling at the idea of moving on to vegies and fruits.

All we have done so far is plant some apple trees since we knew they would take years. I think there is a pear in the bunch. Anyway all I did last year was buy some tomatoe plants late at the farmers market and try keeping them in pots on the patio. Worked well until a hot spell and they cooked, should have moved them out back before august.

Oh, and we have some grapes in that will also take years. I wanted to get the berrys in last fall but ran out of time, the snow flew. Also never got the greenhouse moved here so I'm doing the seeding indoors. Total disorgainization but I'm determined there will be a garden this year. I have seeds that are 2 years old!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well since Spring is just about here.

We have out already:
Tomatoes, Carrots, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Spinach, Bell Peppers, Chile Peppers, Onions and replanted the herb garden.

Ready to be planted/seeded:
Corn, Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Watermelon, Pumpkin, Cantaloupe, Honeydew melons, peas, beans, sunflowers, cucumbers, pickles, eggplant, radishes and a big mix of flowers all over the place.

It's going to be a busy next 2 months.

2 Beauts

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've never grown peas before, and would like to give it a shot. I know I'll do sugar snap peas, we love those. But, what type of peas is it that come in the can? I have no idea what kind ot buy for those.

dogginfox

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Just got 3/4 of the planting Done!!!!!!

Garden
regular tomatoes, patio tomatoes, 6 types of Hot peppers, Green, Red, and Yellow bell peppers, Okra, Pumpkins, Yellow Squash, Garlic, Horseradish, Radishes, Sweet Bantam corn, Bush beans, and Cucumbers. Once the corn starts to grow, Lima beans and peas will go in along with Giant Pumpkins and Datil peppers once they get to size.

Herbs
Lavender, Thyme, Sage, Chives, Greek Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, and Dill

Also planted 2 Cascades Hops, 2 Concord Grapes, several marygold seeds and 3 leyland cypress trees!!!

Add to that Cutting down 15-20 small trees......Today was a BIG DAY

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
2 Beauts said:
. . . But, what type of peas is it that come in the can? I have no idea what kind ot buy for those.
:idunno In the can . . . ? You mean those peas you can shell and eat raw in the garden? You mean those peas you can cream with new potatoes? In a can :hu??

How 'bout Green Arrow peas? Those are a common variety of shell peas.

Steve's digitS'

edited to get the "we's" out and the "you's" in . . . You can do it, we can help!

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This year will hopefully be lots of sweet corn (Candy Corn), lots of pumpkins we are hoping to sell, peas, watermelon, yellow cherry tomatoes (dont know the veriety, got the plants locally last year and although I dont like tomatoes, my neighbors loved them) and tomatoes for canning (my uncle grows some kind of Amish heirloom variety that looks like Roma tomatoes, have to find out) and cucumbers for my son who loves them. I was thinking about some hot peppers might go at the farmers market. And we always do marigolds and hoping to get some big sunflowers. We also have 3 apple trees and Im putting in 2 blueberries. Busy summer....

oh and i forgot, after reading several posts on here i want to try some container potatos