What is the natural lifespan of beans?

homewardbound

Leafing Out
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
What you should do, if you ever go to the place you dream about, is find out what they grow there. Especially you would talk to the old folks, many of whom don't use computer things.
Ive got a planting chart that is put out by Clemson University so I can get some idea of what grows in the region I am interested in. Clemson gives actual calendar dates rather than time amounts before/after normal frost dates. Mel Bartholomew gives planting dates based on normal frost dates and you have to find your frost dates yourself. I have climate data for the area I am interested in but the dates suggested by Clemson seem to be running about a half-month off from what Bartholomew recommends. I have frost dates for the particular city I am interested in but Clemson may be averaging the dates for a region that covers about 1/3 of the state.

If it happens to be a place too hot for regular beans to make much, there are varieties of yardlong or cowpeas that like it hot in summer.
I can get a decent green bean harvest here in Florida where it is much hotter than SC, but I have to plant a lot of seeds all at once because succession plantings often will be killed by the heat before they produce and your first planting usually wont survive long enough to get a 2nd picking.

I'd think there would be a right time of year to plant some varieties of Cabbage. Not sure if it'd be a long season or short season Cabbage.
2 years ago Bonnie Plant Company started sending a variety of cabbage to my area that is supposed to mature in just 45 days. I planted some winter before last and they were more like 75 day cabbages. I planted the same thing last winter and only harvested 2 heads because the weather was so hot.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I guess I wasn't clear. My sugar-snap peas will be producing in a few weeks, but PAST IT by the time that the scarlet runner beans are ready for harvest. I'm sorry it isn't cold enough for peas. Have you considered planting peas early on the North side of your house?

homewardbound

Leafing Out
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
I guess I wasn't clear. My sugar-snap peas will be producing in a few weeks, but PAST IT by the time that the scarlet runner beans are ready for harvest. I'm sorry it isn't cold enough for peas. Have you considered planting peas early on the North side of your house?
We can have temperatures in the 80s as early as February so it doesn't matter what side of the house you plant cool weather crops on.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I can grow (and harvest) them all summer here in Central Texas, even with 3 months of 100 degree days. You just have to keep them picked or they stop producing.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are indeed varieties of Peas that tolerate a bit more heat.

You can try several. Golden Pod is a good one that lasts to mid August here from May plantings. It is multi purpose. Young pods are good. Shelled Peas are good, and they are good as dry pea soup beans too.

Also, you can select for local tolerance. Many varieties of Pea have enough hidden variation for annual selections, saving seed from your best 2 or 3 plants.

https://nativeseeds.org/index.php/store/45/2/seeds/southwest-traditional/peas