What is this?? Invasive? Edible?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look at the seed pods in the picture, BJ.

Believe it or not . . . I've got a poke salad plant that has come back every year for the past 3 or 4. It may not be able to do that if it wasn't the absolutely the most protected location around.

Maybe I won't put a mulch on it this winter but it has been fun having it there.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's Datura.

Careful, it's poisonous.

They do make pretty flowers, and the plants and pods can be ornamental.

If you decide to keep it, keep it under strict control. Don't let it reseed itself.

If you don't want it around just keep at them. As you see, they are easy to spot.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Jimson weed, also known as loco weed. (datura stromonium) It's a highly poisonous weed that causes hallucinations when eaten. Cattle will seldom eat it but chickens are often poisoned by eating the seeds.

mrcman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Lesa,

This pic didn't come from my garden. It came from across the road in the field of cow corn. There's quite a bit of it all along the edges.
It's not mine so I can't really do anything with it. But it's likely to end up over here eventually. I was curious if I needed to be concerned.

Tony

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
The seedlings will probably look like this:

http://www.penick.net/digging/?p=2991

Pull them or pinch them when you see them. Might be a good idea to wear some kind of gloves, or at least be careful not to touch eyes or tender tissue while doing it, and then wash up after.

Might want to check to see if they are on any local noxious weed lists, in which case if so, maybe your neighbor might want to know.

There are some nice domesticated versions.

Ya know, if there are some nice domesticated ones that are not as durable and weedy, I wonder if planting them would introduce less invasive genes locally...

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One good thing is that it seldom comes up in undisturbed ground. Plowing or tilling ground containing the seeds will cause them to show up.

mrcman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Marshall,

I went to her site and looked around. I don't see any pics there that look like my stuff.

She does have a very nice, well planned site.

Tony

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Jimson weed, also known as loco weed. (datura stromonium) It's a highly poisonous weed that causes hallucinations when eaten. Cattle will seldom eat it but chickens are often poisoned by eating the seeds.
:ep Oh good grief. I have datura in my front yard. Where my storm-displaced chickens currently are. Who will eat anything. :th I've cleared out all the plants now, but I figure there are still lots of seeds around.

Jimson weed is a real pain! It reseeds like crazy just like its cousin, the devil's trumpet (the datura in my front yard). Burn the seed pods. Better yet, pull them up before they get the chance to go to seed.

mrcman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Marshall,

I ended up emailing Pam Penick and she said it was okay to send her a pic of what I had. She said it was, in fact, Datura.

Thanks for the site information.

Tony

Latest posts