What is this?? Invasive? Edible?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good luck controlling it. I would think even a weed eater would control Datura cutting it down to the ground. It is pretty, so if you decide to keep a few just make sure the pods don't develop.

There are definitely colorful and larger flowered close relatives that are not invasive. I just kind of think that with Datura a kind of natural cross breeding control might be possible one day if not already, by planting some domesticated variety that is not invasive and letting them cross with the invasive forms that would then make a generation of non invasive hybrids.

Oh, and yesterday I was in San Francisco again. The bus went by many outdoor grown Brugmansia Angel Trumpets which grow well there, and they were in full bloom. What a wonderful climate the pacific coast north part of San Francisco has! Here it is November! Also saw entire hillsides of Passionflower vines in full bloom in the stands of Monterrey Cypress, and in among was that super rare, no longer considered extinct, San Francisco Manzanita! It grows as a compact shrub and has soft light green leaves.