WHAT IS THIS????

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I noticed this strange stalk coming up by the river. It is about a foot tall, very sturdy and interesting stalk, and a sad little tuft of leaves at the top. It looks like a sprout with more to come. I think it is wild, but, I have been known to buy weird things, plant them and forget about them. Any ideas about the Massachusetts plant?
7100_wierd_plant.jpg

7100_dsc_0597.jpg

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I don't think ginger would overwinter in your area Cat, but I may be wrong. When I tear a piece of leaf off of mine it smells like ginger, so you might try that, just to check.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Catjack, there are 2 types of bamboo, the clumping type and the runner type. The runner type is the one that is very invasive. I once went to my sister in law's friend's house to get some. The yard was covered with it. They had a bobcat there and planned to use it to pull it all out. I tried a couple types with a shovel and it was so compacted, we could'nt get it out. I quickly changed my mind.

I have the clumping type with a bamboo barrier around it. It grows in a clump so it doesn't spread and the barrier was just extra precautions. When I want to divide it, I have to pull the whole thing out and it is still kind of hard to do. Then we split it with an ax.

Is it all over the place? Since it overwinters there perhaps it might be easier to control?

Mary

cmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
cmom said:
Any ideas what this is. We live in North Central Florida.

Since the board won't let me post images or links, I have posted pictures on My Page.

Latest posts