What is this?

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is one of the most annoying perennial weeds in my garden. It’s nearly impossible to kill and seems to spread by runners. In summer it gets tiny tiny purple flowers on it and it has four sided stems. Anyone know what it is? It almost seems a like it’s related to mint. But I’m not sure. The stems are rough almost serrated feeling at the edges.
E0DF0320-2394-4819-9841-7D6197099031.jpeg
53B58800-97C5-4D84-A11A-2BDFEC0C5210.jpeg
96E2FE03-FD32-4A72-8F22-CC12DFFC54DA.jpeg

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Me either I’ve been trying to figure it out for a while. I don’t have any pics of the flowers but they don’t look like nettle or mint flowers.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Final determination will have to wait for spring when it flowers unless I find some pics on my computer. The flowers still don’t look right... I almost wonder if this is someone someone planted year ago. It didn’t occur to me before but I don’t think I’ve seen it anywhere else on my property except right here. And it’s next to 2 old home sites. The flowers are much less showy we have wild verbena around here and it looks different than this. I’ll crush some and smell it when I go out to turn the chickens loose in minute.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is one of the most annoying perennial weeds in my garden. It’s nearly impossible to kill and seems to spread by runners. In summer it gets tiny tiny purple flowers on it and it has four sided stems. Anyone know what it is? It almost seems a like it’s related to mint. But I’m not sure. The stems are rough almost serrated feeling at the edges.View attachment 38968View attachment 38967View attachment 38966

i'm not finding anything that looks like that, but to me it reminds me of a plant that grows here as a weed.

vervain,

Verbena stricta

or similar as there are other types of this plant/family.

we call it some common name like purple fingers or something like that which i can't remember right now. haha... i can't find common names for it online. i guess vervain or tall verbenia might be ok for that.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i'm not finding anything that looks like that, but to me it reminds me of a plant that grows here as a weed.

vervain,

Verbena stricta

or similar as there are other types of this plant/family.

we call it some common name like purple fingers or something like that which i can't remember right now. haha... i can't find common names for it online. i guess vervain or tall verbenia might be ok for that.
The flowers are much smaller. Like the size of a pin head. And only maybe 2 or 3 in a cluster if I remember correctly. I’ll look for the pictures in my computer after lunch.

Latest posts