What is this?

kcsunshine

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
6834_004.jpg

Found this thing walking on a flower pot today. I have never seen one of these. Bright yellow - red head with long feathery antenna looking objects coming out of it's head. Bright yellow bumpy things (4 of them) on it's back but it didn't look like eggs. Eeks!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/6834_004.jpg

Found this thing walking on a flower pot today. I have never seen one of these. Bright yellow - red head with long feathery antenna looking objects coming out of it's head. Bright yellow bumpy things (4 of them) on it's back but it didn't look like eggs. Eeks!
It looks as though it might be poisonous. remember the old adage,"Never touch a caterpilllar with its hair in tufts". Some of them have spines that can be quite painful.

kcsunshine

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I know - it's a shame. If it wasn't so ugly, it would be pretty. :sick

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The bright color is another tip off. It's probably there to let predators know it can defend itself. Actually it is quite pretty in a buggy sort of way. Some insects are so weird looking it takes a second look to see the beauty.

kcsunshine

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well, I trapped it in a jar with some grass stems until someone tells me it will eat other bugs, in which case I will let it go at the edge of the woods - or, if it indeed very poisonous, I will stomp it's yellow gooey guts out (with shoes on, of course - preferably my work boots!)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's definitely a catterpillar and I don't know of any that eat anything but vegetation. Too bad you don't know what it eats. It would be interesting to raise it and see what kind of butterfly or moth it turns into.

kcsunshine

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well, I'm doing a scientific experiment. After several days in my quart jar with the lid tilted to allow some air, the beastie built a web of sorts and wrapped himself in it. We'll see what pops out!

Latest posts