What is your Favorite Bean Dish ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Researching low cholesterol foods, beans are high on every list. It is highly suggested to incorporate them in everyday meals. I only eat beans when they are in soup. What are some different ways you enjoy beans ?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Like you, my most common way to eat dry beans is in soup. Sauteed onions and celery with chicken broth can replace the water used to cook the beans during the last 20 minutes that they need to cook. A leafy green can go into the pot and, there you be - bean soup!

I also make chili at times. I didn't grow any dry beans in 2016 :hide. A bag of pintos from the store isn't a problem, tho ... Except admitting it on TEG ;).

Anyway, a step in a tasty direction I've taken with my chili is to make it with dumplings.

I've always liked dumplings and had to learn as a kid not to just eat the dumplings and dump Mom's chicken soup ;). I'm not much inclined to do that with chili. I believe that some people put the open pan of chili in the oven and cook biscuits on top of it ... I'll have to explore that a little before trying it. Dumplings are easy and just require stirring some water into biscuit flour, spoonfuls of dough on the chili, and covering it for about 15 minutes.

Steve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We mainly eat them in the green snap stage, full bean or shelly, steamed and dotted with a bit of Becel margarine, maybe a sprinkling of parmesan cheese, but, there have been occasions where I have cooked a bit of diced bacon and poured bits and and all over a plate of beans, damn the cholesterol. Another way is saute some shallot and sliced mushrooms, add green beans, a bit of water. Cook on medium heat until beans are done to your taste, usually when water is gone. The only way I have used dried beans is in the Greek dish plaki using the Gigandes beans I've grown myself (Gigandes is a white runner bean not a lima like so many think), this dish is even better the second day.

Annette

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I make a weekly pot of pinto beans. I love a bowl of them freshly made with a little shredded mexican cheese, and chopped cilantro along with corn tortillas.

I'm like Steve, I love to make chili.

My daughter makes a spin off of caprese salad. Cubes fresh mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, chopped basil, and adds a can of cannellini beans to it, drizzle of olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I make a weekly pot of pinto beans. I love a bowl of them freshly made with a little shredded mexican cheese, and chopped cilantro along with corn tortillas.

Mary

Me too! And right out of the pot with a little sprinkle of salt is so yummy.

I cook them a bit longer too and make refrieds for burritos. They're so inexpensive when cooked from dry, and so good for you.

Latest posts