What is your favorite gardening method, and why? Add pictures!

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I know I keep starting threads. :) I am just really interested in everyone's different gardens. My dad always did the double digging method, which is a TON of work. I have thought about the lasagna or no-dig method, but we decided not to try anything new this year.

So I am sticking with what I know, the raised beds. But not nearly so pretty as these I see on here. I just have mounds, no boards around them. And I am just digging them once, not doing the double digging. I am planting in rows down the bed, and I am going to put things in furrows to conserve water.

I would love to see pictures of everyone's methods, and hear what you like about them! Lets make this a good reference for people who are trying new things!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really love mulched, raised beds(just mounded, like yours) and permanent pathways. Last year I did raised beds of one board high, which was nice but could have been done without the boards.
I also liked trellising my tomatoes and will be doing this somewhat this year....good-bye to all that staking!

I don't really have a good pic of these methods but I have one that was taken early on, before the garden was all full and tall.

5508_imported_photos_00009.jpg
[/img]

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a few simple raised beds out of reclaimed lumber. 3 total in my fenced in area. One small raised bed in front contains our strawberries. You can also see we moved the chicken coop behind the veggie garden which on the other side has a grape vine.

Its small, but its perfect for a small family.

raised_garden11.jpg

Excuse the mess... I've been working out there alot lately, but didn't get to finish up since the winds were so bad today! :barnie

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We have used raised beds for quite some time, here are photos of beds we had put together last year,
5713_p1010825b.jpg

After planting
5713_p1010826b.jpg

After the tomatoes took over
5713_p1030194b.jpg

This year we put together this PVC fence garden, excited to see how well it works.
5713_p1040066.jpg

And we are going to try out straw bale gardening, we have straw bales we have used for insulation in the duck shed, so we will repurpose them to grow in them. :watering So we will be sure to update our progress. :celebrate

:happy_flower Karan :D

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am drooling over everyone's raised beds... :drool They look so pretty and tidy!

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Everyone else submit your photos. I am excited to see what else I have to look forward to and new ideas I get out of looking at everyones gardens.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have 3 raised beds.. an asparagus bed.. 2 potato cages and some rows..

I am seeing what i like and dont like..

9815_100_2255.jpg

laurenlulu

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Great Pictures everyone. Beekissed- I'm loving your trellis.

We bought our house from my husbands grandparents, and they had a square foot raised bed garden already in place that I just took over. I really like it, but since the boards are rotting and I think the beds are spaced too far apart, I'm going to redo it next year. I'm going to do mounded raised beds with no boards.

I'm trying double digging in my beds this year, I'll see how it goes. I just got a tiller for an early Mother's Day gift, so I'm sure its going to be doing the work from now on, lol!

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Just started a lasagna garden. I'll have pics in a few months and let you know how I like it!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
laurenlulu said:
Great Pictures everyone. Beekissed- I'm loving your trellis.
You know, is was my first attempt and it wasn't a very good one, as the string cross pieces weren't sturdy enough to hold all those tomatoes. This year I will be trying posts and fencing in a straight line and tying the tomatoes to the fencing. Sturdier and I'm going to use loosely placed zipties instead of string.

That trellis fooled alot of folks who thought I had planted that many beans, instead of tomatoes. They had never seen anyone trellis tomatoes before! :p

I'm going to leave the piece of fencing in place for a bed rotation next year of beans, canteloupe, cucumbers, squash.

I'm planting over 100 tomatoe plants and I can't imagine ever placing stakes for all of those.....my folks do 150 plants each year and a stake for every two!!! :th

Last year that one trellis held around 115 tomatoe plants...in true SFG style! Underneath the trellis was sweet onions but they didn't do well because of too much shade.

Latest posts