What is your favorite gardening method, and why? Add pictures!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just received 60+ calla lily bulbs from someone on a rampage ripping them out of their garden!!!

After planting about 20 I've come to the conclusion I see what they are ripping them all up! Now I'm thinking of slapping and address of someone I know on the box and letting it go.

I have a perrenial Diathus Wifezilla... I think its gorgeous. As it gets to big I hack a chunck off from the root ball. Going to hand that over to my neighbor. :/

Do snap dragons really get out of control?! I just planted 12 I think have quadroupled in size and you got me worried.

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Wifezilla that would be great if ya have any left :clap

vfem I can send ya my address to slap on a box :frow :rainbow-sun

:happy_flower :D Karan

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi karanleaf, :happy_flower
I can't PM you as your box is FULL :ep

My raised beds are already bulging with plants. I filled one of them with peas and they have really grown away & they are now 18" high. They are an early pea that you have to pod. I love these but I tend to eat most of them raw, standing in the garden, like a kid :frow :lol:

My runner beans I sowed direct & very early (when it was quite chilly). My male neighbors were rather dismissive of this -- they said it was far too early. So I sowed more (of a different name) indoors -- just to be sure & lo and behold, the outside ones "Painted Lady" (A heritage bean which is both red & white splashed, very pretty & productive) are now 12" high & very strong. I have had fleece over all my raised beds since I removed the glass/ plastic panes. Our nights are still very cold ,with occasional very light frosts. The indoor ones ( "Lady Di"is also red & white splashed) are about 4" high , I shall put these out this weekend. In the UK there is always a bit of a competition as to whom has the first peas & runner beans......!! So :thumbsup I'm well on the way :lol:

I'm hardening off a lot of other veg that I started indoors which I will put in the newly positioned 5 raised beds this weekend. I have had to liberate these from a jungle of brambles & nettles. ALL GONE NOW --- ME NOW >> :th

It is now nearly 8am here so I am off outside to fill the 5 beds up with soil & well rotted compost --off to play in the dirt again. :ya I stll haven't grown up yet! :tongue

Happy gardening everyone. :coolsun

:rose Hattie :rose

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do snap dragons really get out of control?! I just planted 12 I think have quadroupled in size and you got me worried.
They reseed. I have some deep red ones that went nuts for about 3 years. Last year they seemed to have died off a bit, but I already see some popping up this year.

This photo is a couple of years old. You can see them in the bottom right area
1002769ek8.jpg

Oh yeah...and virginia creeper is also good for subtractive gardening (that's the stuff clinging to the fence)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah Wife, I've seen this photo before because those are about the color of my snapdragons! They have deep purple leaves on the bottom and deep green on top. Yesterday I noticed my first few buds starting to show signs of the red. I was thrilled to say the least.

I guess I wouldn't mind if they took over because I love red, and other then those new calla lilies I have no red flowers?! Weird on my part!

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wifezilla, my 3 year old DS says "Mom, those look so beautifull!" about your snapdragons.

I diddnt know they were that easy to grow, I love them!

And I love this new term. subtractive gardening. Any more plant ideas for it, anyone?? I am learning alot!

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh yeah...and virginia creeper is also good for subtractive gardening (that's the stuff clinging to the fence)
That's the stuff my neighbors had growing all over their house for 10+ years. They tore it down last year, because it had started to grow INTO their house! :th

The first sign was a large piece that had grown through the wall and into their laundry room. It was growing along the edge of the ceiling. They started to rip it out and it was all over inside the walls. They had to rip the walls and put a new roof on their house. The creeper had invaded the roof and brought in moisture.

Yuck! Now of course it's invading MY yard!

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yeah, that creeper goes everywhere if ya don't keep it trimed back it will tear down fence and house :ep

Hattie :frow I got my PM box cleaned :clap opps sorry :hide

Wife those snap dragons are wonderful. :thumbsup

Sure wish I was home playing in the dirt now :tongue Instead of sitting in this basement office :sick

Everyone enjoy your breezes and sunshine :coolsun

:caf :idunno Karan :he

Latest posts