What Is Your Favorite Holiday Drink ?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
OUR plans for the 25th involved driving 12 minutes to DD's house to open presents, then they follow us home 12 minutes drive for the feast. We intend to start the day with mimosas and then...not sure. We USED to keep vodka when we had to deal with troublesome relatives, but that's all gone, just drinking for pleasure now.
THIS recipe would fit right into our plans!!
You will never drink store bought again. My Great Grandmother would be proud that so many people enjoy her eggnog. (I have shared it many times)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, I'm the only one that likes eggnog. Can you make this recipe in half without the bourbon and taste just as great? I don't like bourbon.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bourbon or otherwise ... I never learned to like alcohol in eggnog. Hot eggnog sans alcohol is pretty good stuff, Mary.

There are several tea-totalers in my family, including DW. Grandma too, and Mom was so close to that, nobody would know the difference. (Several times, she would try to be helpful to one of her sisters during difficult times by pouring drinks and the two of them, lighting cigarettes. Whoa! I can still see those scenes in my mind's eye ;).)

Before DW and life becoming so restricted ... ;) ... I liked Benedictine and Brandy in coffee. I even fantasized about making it since, somehow, we have an idea what the monks put in Benedictine. Spices and herbs, I could grow some of those! I tried to make the brandy from my poor quality, homemade wine. Nope! Need to leave that to others with more skill.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, I'm the only one that likes eggnog. Can you make this recipe in half without the bourbon and taste just as great? I don't like bourbon.

Mary
I think you could, but you would have to cook the egg yolks. I would suggest putting the yolks and sugar in a double boiler and cooking them at a simmer for 5-6 minutes or until they were thick on a spoon.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I've never thought of drinking eggnog hot. Need to try it this season before the eggnog in stores is gone!

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you could, but you would have to cook the egg yolks. I would suggest putting the yolks and sugar in a double boiler and cooking them at a simmer for 5-6 minutes or until they were thick on a spoon.

or used pasturized eggs (i think they're available in most of the bigger grocery stores).

i should note that i've never used them myself so i have no idea how they taste...

Latest posts