What is your quirky way to plant potatoes?

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Texan said:
Reinbeau said:
Please keep in mind that the new potatoes form over the one you plant, which is why you plant them in trenches - or pile lots and lots of mulch on them as the potato plant grows. I really prefer growing them in the ground, I hoe a trench, and then hill the plants as they grow.
I am new to planting potatoes too (new to it all really). When you plant a potatoe seed, or you plant a cutting off of a potatoe that has an eye on it do you get more than one potatoe?

I know this is probably a silly question to yall but I just dont know.
Also, sorry for the hijack.
there is no silly questions Tex

when you plant a peice of potato with at least 2 eyes... they will produce many potatoes...it is very rewarding to dig up your own home grown potatoes...cut your seed potatoe into as many peices as there are 2-3 eyes each and let the cut part dry out or scab over before planting...use the trench method and keep hilling the soil on top and sides of plants and you will have pounds of potatoes with skin so fine that when you wash them it will disapear...DELICIOUS

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Texan said:
Reinbeau said:
Please keep in mind that the new potatoes form over the one you plant, which is why you plant them in trenches - or pile lots and lots of mulch on them as the potato plant grows. I really prefer growing them in the ground, I hoe a trench, and then hill the plants as they grow.
I am new to planting potatoes too (new to it all really). When you plant a potatoe seed, or you plant a cutting off of a potatoe that has an eye on it do you get more than one potatoe?

Not a hijack at all, and as momofdrew said, you'll get lots and lots of delicious potatoes from the one you plant! :thumbsup

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Yall. I've got those blue potatoe seeds, some russet potatoe cuttingings with eyes and I want to do some cuttings on some baking potatoes. Is there a need to seperate different potatoe species from each other??

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Texan said:
Reinbeau said:

Can I add another question? How long after you plant your potatoes should you see them sprout?

Thanks! :)

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Depends on the warmth of the soil, I think. A week or two? How big are the eyes on your potatoes? If they're already growing, less, if they're just nubs, more :)

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Growing varies with regions, where you're so much further down south than I am things are going to be different - hopefully someone with more experience in your region will be able to help you.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do you have to wait for eyes to form?

My tater from SSE are coming this week and my Lousiana Garden said I should have planted late Feb early March. i am a bit late and if I have to wait for eyes to form. I will miss the season entirely. Will these be able to keep for fall planting?

goosling52

Sprout
Reaction score
inchworm said:
My seed potatoes arrived in the mail yesterday. I am in zone 6. Is it time to plant them? I've been looking around, but I keep finding conflicting information.

Inchworm
I am zone 5 usually, where are you at? I am in Illinois, and we usually plant on St. Paddy's day, but of course the belt on the tiller was dead, so we are doing them this afternoon. . .

lnm03

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
goosling52 said:
inchworm said:
My seed potatoes arrived in the mail yesterday. I am in zone 6. Is it time to plant them? I've been looking around, but I keep finding conflicting information.

Inchworm
I am zone 5 usually, where are you at? I am in Illinois, and we usually plant on St. Paddy's day, but of course the belt on the tiller was dead, so we are doing them this afternoon. . .
I am in zone 5b when do i absolutely have to have them planted by??

Latest posts