What is your quirky way to plant potatoes?

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just started cutting my seed potatoes and find I am confused about what exactly an eye is. Does a bit of a dimple that looks like it should be an eye count? Or does there need to be a bit of a nubby sprout to be counted as an eye? These are Yukon Gold potatoes and they have very few nubby eyes.

Inchworm

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
A dimple should turn into an eye. lol Just don't cut your potatoes too small. You shouldn't be getting 15 pieces from a potato or anything! lol

denimangle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Has anyone grown potatoes in saw dust .. I saw it somewhere the other night but now cant seem to find it again
Cheryl

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I basically cut my seed potatoes in half. I was surprised how smooth they were. The ones I buy in the store are much nubbier!

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
smom1976 said:
Southern Gardener said:
I planted them on Feb. 25th and no sign of them yet. The eyes were just nubs. :/
mine took like 3 weeks or more..
Well, I just couldn't wait anymore. Tonight I dug around where I planted my potatoes and YES they are about to come up!
that is sooo funny ... I did the same thing LOL
:lol:

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We are all worse than 4 year olds at Christmas! I must check the seedlings downstairs 4 times a day! lol

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
setter4 said:
We are all worse than 4 year olds at Christmas! I must check the seedlings downstairs 4 times a day! lol
I have grown lots of potatoes, and I am late this year! Going in tomorrow!

I trench 6" deep, cover with soil, adding more soil until it's all ground level and a bit more. When I start seeing the sprouts I start piling wheat straw around them, and just add more straw as they grow.

Last year we could only find the thin-skinned whites, so out of a 3' x 3' area we got just over 6 lbs. This year, I plan to crowd them a little more. :tools

meriruka1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I buy organic potatoes on sale at the grocery, store them in a paper bag in the house for a few weeks until they sprout. Then I just cram the potatoes in the ground.

Here's my harvest from 3 potatoes:
5943_p1010080p.jpg

I spent $1.79 for the whole bag, ate some and let these three sprout then planted them. It's like buy a bag get one free!

I do this also with garlic, shallots, onions, ginger and a few others I can't remember. You just have to buy the organic stuff, it's not sprayed with chemicals that retard growth or irradiated.

Gardening companies want $6.00 for 1 bulb of garlic and $8.00 for two lbs. of seed potatoes. Yikes.

Latest posts