What is your quirky way to plant potatoes?

cluckychick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We plant ours under a thin layer of ground and pile straw on top. We paid $2.49 for 5lbs for yukon gold and some whites. Their goin in the ground this weekend :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just cut up some russets from the store and let them scar. I was going to do the 'potato cage' idea but just used a 24" pot used to have compost in. I layered some compost in the bottom, and a couple of inches of soil. Plopped in my potato seed and covered with some soil compost mix. Now I'm playing the we'll see game. I don't care either way as I didn't buy the potato seeds... but I'd be happy to see life from them.

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My seed potatoes arrived in the mail yesterday. I am in zone 6. Is it time to plant them? I've been looking around, but I keep finding conflicting information.

Inchworm

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
dug a few trenches, maybe 5-6 inches deep. placed the potatoes in there a few feet apart, and buried them most of the way, leaving the part with the most eyes and a bit of the potato exposed. the elements and watering filled in the trenches a bit but by that time my first sprouts were visible. Since then my sprouts have sturdied up a bit and i filled in the trenches a little so that only the leaves of the plant were above soil.

i found this method online in a blog from a British fellow. this is my first potato experience so i have no other experiences with which to compare.

i used some store bought potatoes as well. if they work well, I will make a seed potato investment next year. otherwise i'll just have to stick to sweet potatoes and cassava.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
inchworm said:
My seed potatoes arrived in the mail yesterday. I am in zone 6. Is it time to plant them? I've been looking around, but I keep finding conflicting information.

Inchworm
is your soil dry enough to work??? night temps above freezing???
if yes plant away

ahbee01

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We dig trenches to about 5" deep, then cover the potato and when we see them sprout we cover them up again with soil, we do that about 4 or 5 times. We then have hills! After that when we see them sprout we let it go and they grow like mad!
Brenda

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks, Pam! The soil is workable, but I have to check the night time temps.

Inchy

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Please keep in mind that the new potatoes form over the one you plant, which is why you plant them in trenches - or pile lots and lots of mulch on them as the potato plant grows. I really prefer growing them in the ground, I hoe a trench, and then hill the plants as they grow.

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Please keep in mind that the new potatoes form over the one you plant, which is why you plant them in trenches - or pile lots and lots of mulch on them as the potato plant grows. I really prefer growing them in the ground, I hoe a trench, and then hill the plants as they grow.
I am new to planting potatoes too (new to it all really). When you plant a potatoe seed, or you plant a cutting off of a potatoe that has an eye on it do you get more than one potatoe?

I know this is probably a silly question to yall but I just dont know.
Also, sorry for the hijack.

Latest posts