What Kind of Apple is This?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
This was posted on my local garden group. The tree is in Alameda.
43110221_10217176312621073_5726908185600589824_n.jpg

Looks a bit like a Braeburn.

ShotType1_328x328.jpg

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Actually, biblical scholars disagree about what fruit the forbidden fruit was (a lot of Muslims think it was the fig, some other sects the banana, and there are some Eastern European groups who think it was the fly algaric mushroom).

A lot of people think the apple choice came about as the Catholic church was trying to introduce Christianity to the Celtic peoples of northern Europe, most of whom venerated the apple tree as the source of alcoholic cider. The fact that the Latin for apple is malum and that sounds like it has the word mal (evil) in it, and you see a pentagram when you slice one in half helped a little, as well as the fact apples were sacred to the pagan god Apollo.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
By the by does anyone know the address or contact information for any apple variety preservation society? The More I think of it, the more I think I should send some of the apples from that tree I found in Mt. Kisco to one, in case they really ARE some old cider type.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
By the by does anyone know the address or contact information for any apple variety preservation society? The More I think of it, the more I think I should send some of the apples from that tree I found in Mt. Kisco to one, in case they really ARE some old cider type.

Have you ever taken a look at
Orange Pippen?
Maybe if you contacted them they could be helpful.

Latest posts